Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had continuing education classes for work in Springfield, MO last week Thursday-Sunday. After wandering around Bass Pro a couple of days, the weather warmed up and I went to the Nature and Conservation Center and went hiking Saturday. I went that morning and didn't have a camera, but went back that afternoon and took a camera and hiked the trails again. Here are some pics I thought I'd share... The deer, turkeys, etc. are wild but must be used to everyone running around the trails, b/c they were pretty approachable. The center is 80 acres of mountains, draws, fields, ridges, and wetlands with about 3 miles of trails (which I hiked twice that day:biggrin: ) The center itself was very nice and the trails were very well maintained. Here are the pics...

·
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That's it...:smack: I saw 2 monster longbeards that morning on a ridge and looped within 20 yards of them. Talk about giving you spring fever!!!:wink: I couldn't find them that afternoon, I guess they crossed over onto private property. The center is a really neat place to visit if you're up there and want to do something on top of Bass Pro (the museum and WOW are closed for up to 6 months for renovation and expansion). It is basically 80 acres of the Ozarks in the middle of town. The James River freeway passes by on one side, there are houses on another, and Lake Springfield behind the center property. It would be a great place to take your kids b/c they have a lot of hands-on exhibits indoors and you can get up and close to wildlife outdoors too! Hope you enjoyed the pics.
Bryan

·
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, forgot to mention I didn't see any horns... The guy at the office there said they had seen a 6 pt and an 8 pt there the week before, but hadn't the last few days. I didn't see any that looked like they shed either, mainly does and little ones. Kind of like when I've been on stand bowhunting here lately!!!:biggrin:

·
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you are going into Springfield there are several signs for the Conservation Center. You turn on the James River Freeway and then it is the next exit (Glenstone) I believe. You go back over the overpass and it is at the end of the dead-end road. Here is a link with info. It really is an interesting place to visit and I'm sure the kids would really love it.

http://mdc.mo.gov/areas/cnc/springfd/

·
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to mention that it is owned by the Missouri Nature and Conservation Department and is free for all (inside exhibits and hiking trails)...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts