spot stalking deer in the ozarks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ar21ANGLER, May 22, 2020 at 5:23 PM.

1. Ar21ANGLER

Ar21ANGLER Well-Known Member

guys i have a question for yall, does anybody have experience spot stalking deer in the hills? i have walked up on many deer and have been told that spot stalking was how the old timers use to hunt. is it possible to do in the ozarks? i do not have the luxury of setting up standa and spending much time there but i could go for a few days here and there during the season. would spot stalking be a viable way to hunt up there?

jackie53 and CBD like this.
  2. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    Most folks up there just wait till dark and spot stalk em from the cab of their truck I'm pretty sure.

3. 44magnum

44magnum Well-Known Member

Due to terrain, it’s difficult to move without making noises and being detected. Stand hunting is the most successful for the average hunter unless you’re like an Indian. The only time I stalk is when they aren’t anywhere around my stands up and moving with either wet ground or high wind to help. If you move, it has to be sssllllooooowwww, work the wind, and hope you still don’t get busted. The thing about public land is 1- you could be pushing them over someone else, 2-deer are very thin so you get surprised often, 3-pressure puts them in beds during daylight where they bed in heavy cover and rough terrain about impossible to see them before they see you. The best chances you have are during the chasing phase before hunting and rut pressures puts them back nocturnal. It is possible that you could wander up on the monster buck of a lifetime though not likely. If you decide to try, stay along the benches and trails where they could be feeding or bedded along that is more open and where you might see them first. Get away from hunting pressure where they are less disturbed.

R6mm and Thenarwhal like this.
  4. Jayepea

Jayepea Well-Known Member

Ol boy in our camp kills one every year slipping through the woods on an old logging road or fire break. Just walk real slow and keep your head up. Stop by a tree every 50 yards or so and wait and watch for a minute or so. You'll be surprised how fun you'll have.

CBD and Kodiac like this.
  5. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

Nothing to it. It's about the only way I hunt, anymore. Move slow and stay alert.

If you start spooking deer before you see them, then you're moving to fast. Slow down a little bit. When I'm impatient, I start using my binoculars because the time it takes to make a thorough scan with them slows me way down.

I've had tons of deer within 20 feet without ever noticing that I was there.Generally, the squirrels will let you know when you're doing it right. If they are barking and running away, you're moving to fast.

I can easily cover several miles in a day. It's harder with a bow, but still very doable.

N8HARNER and CBD like this.
  6. Biggars

Biggars Well-Known Member

Done it once or twice. As said face in the wind, move when it blows, stop when it does. Binos are good to have. Watch way out in front of you. Dont try to sneak up on em bedded so much as while they are moving or feeding. In the mountains hit the hollers when its windy and sneak.
    That said mostly you dont see anything on public but occasionally you will. Beats sitting at home or blowing in a treetop sometimes.

7. gundogs

gundogs Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily spot and stalk, but I still hunt along hardwood benches pretty regular. If you can find a place where you walk one bench with a view of the one below you, it works out pretty well. I think a series of short, slow walks interrupted by 20-30 minute sits at good vantage points work best. Wind will make you or break you in the mountains.

N8HARNER, Kodiac, Jayepea and 3 others like this.
  8. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
  9. CBD

CBD Well-Known Member

I like to hunt the stands early in the morning till about Ten or Eleven but usually "still hunt" a while afterwards. If I'm hunting around the house and walk to a stand I like to plan out a course to hunt on the way back home.

10. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member

Ravenden
  11. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've killed several doe like that. Only a couple decent bucks. It is a ton of fun but it takes concentration, effort, and you must have a plan.

Windy and/or wet days are the best.

12. Dave57

Dave57 Well-Known Member

I stalk all the time. Sit in the recliner till something I want to shoot. Then I slowly stalk to the door or window for shots under 200. If longer I quietly stalk across the porch to the shooting bench and use the rest.

Takes a lot of skill, and on the wary bucks I have to crouch down below the height of the railing and squat walk to the rest and slowly get in the shooting chair.

Not sure how many more years of this high energy activity I can take. May have to build a rest directly on the recliner.

13. Dave57

Dave57 Well-Known Member

Btw, it is in the ozarks.

Remington likes this.
  14. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    Looks like a good spot for a stand......;)

CBD, Luv2hunt and Remington like this.
  15. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    Gee, Dave. Most of us don't have the wood skill's to slip across the living room/den floor, undetected like you do. Then, after that stalk, to have the stamina to be able to crawl into the shooting chair.....is enough to wear out an average man. You need to figure out a way to make your hunting routine, a little less stressful.....;)

brushcreek, Dave57 and Luv2hunt like this.
  16. whetstone

I mostly disagree with everything that's been said above. I see a hundred or so deer a year still hunting. Killed some really good bucks for the areas I'm hunting, too. All on public land in the Ouachitas and Ozarks. Just go walk slowly through the woods and follow whatever sign you can find. It's not hard, but Nobody does it.

I reread your question. Spot and stalk probably won't work, but still hunting absolutely does. I've walked within 6 feet of feeding does without them knowing I was there.

CBD and gsp like this.
  17. Ar21ANGLER

Ar21ANGLER Well-Known Member

so by still hunting you just pick a good spot and wait it out? a good friend of mine up in that area sometimes sits on the highest ridge and waits them out. i was thinking of finding food sources, and trails and getting a good vantage point and seeing if anything would walk in.

18. 44magnum

44magnum Well-Known Member

Still hunting means in the Ozarks “I’m STILL HUNTING “. We haven’t been getting the nicer bucks like in years past so it takes more time. Around here, terrain is rough, every bench and ridge has a 4 wheeler trail on it and 3 tree stands. Sorry to see the 3 point rules demise and the extra doe kill because it has pretty well ruined what we had going with a nice herd.

Dave57 likes this.
  19. whetstone

Sometimes I find a good saddle or something and sit in one spot, but that's not still hunting. To me, that's stand hunting, with the term "stand" generally referring to the location not the particular box, or blind or ladder stand. Those come and go, but the location can be a good "stand" for decades.

You can find spots out in the woods that still have the remains of generations worth homemade and store bought stands lying on the ground. I don't doubt that if a person could see back through time they would see a steady stream of hunters sitting in those spots all the way back to the first native Americans waiting with bow and arrow or spear for game to come in.

Stand hunting is very effective, but still hunting is the act of moving very slowly through the woods actively looking for game. It's like squirrel and predator hunting. You slip in very slowly and quietly to a spot where you expect to find a deer. You might sit on a rock or something for a while, or lean up again a tree, and look around and listen, but you are generally moving forward and actively looking for game. Since you aren't carrying much stuff, or committed to a particular stand, it's easy to cover a lot of ground,and you can go back to the truck and move on to a new area pretty easily.

For example, opening day of bow season last year I still hunted a big new area. My phone said I covered 7 miles of walking, almost all of which was on good game trails. That's moving pretty fast for still hunting, but I did see some deer and I found three good "stands" that are worth a sit. One looks so good I'll probably backpack in and pull an overnighter and stay committed to that stand all day.

Spot and stalk is getting on a vantage point and looking for game at a distance then trying to sneak up on the animal. That's tough in these mountains because you can only see a couple hundred yards, if you're lucky. It's doable, but it's more like a hunt of opportunity than a real game plan around here, and usually involves a field you have access to, and some luck. It's a tactic that's more suited to big agri country or big, open prairie and mountains like out west.

I think you'll find a combination of still and stand hunting to be very effective and rewarding on public land. Plus, you don't have to invest a lot of time in moving and maintaining stands and cameras. Time that could be better spent hunting.

brushcreek likes this.
  20. DonniePowell

DonniePowell Well-Known Member

Ozarks
    I still hunt when the leaves are wet. You have to move a lot slower than a snail. And pay attention. It may take me an hour to an hour and half to go a hundred yards. Where I am at in the Ozarks if you spot em, you don't have to stalk. It is time to shoot.