Sportdog tek tracking system.

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by rimara0411, Dec 17, 2012.

1. rimara0411

rimara0411 Well-Known Member

Has anyone owned both the sportdog and the garmin gps systems. I have owned the garmin but like the Priceline of the sportdog. How is the construction and reliability. Is the price difference because of quality our because you ate buying a name with garmin.

2. Jimbo1

Jimbo1 Well-Known Member

I only know one person that owned one and he had it about a week.

3. j. english

j. english Well-Known Member

I will be buyin sportdog next time my garmin is 3yrs old & has been nothing but trouble has never picked up out to 1000yrds I got long range antennas on dc40's & hand held. Didnt help me none. I kknow nothing good or bad about sportdog but know it will be what I buy next

4. jayme2885

jayme2885 Well-Known Member

I have a sport dog
    I am impressed so far.
    got nothing against the garmin (except price)
    had it since august
    pm me if u have any q's
    I got system and 3 collars for just under $700

5. WBH

WBH Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine has one and I have the Garmin 320 with dc 40 collar. You cannot put topo maps on the Sportdog, but other than that they are about the same. We get about the same range. Sportdog is ALLOT cheaper, and if all you care about is a screen with an arrow pointing to the dog with the distance then go with Sportdog. You can get a sportdog with the training and tracking collar for around $400 if you keep yours open on Ebay. If money is no object then by far get the Garmin Alpha, but they run $800 and adding collars will set you back $300 a pop, but it's by far the best system on the market IMO.

Hope this helped

6. gunslinger66

gunslinger66 Account Suspended

I have had times that the map on the garmin saved me from driving a long ways because I thought my dog was across the river but the garmin showed a bend in the river and my dog wasn't across.

7. rimara0411

rimara0411 Well-Known Member

All are valid points and things I have thought of. I just wanted to see what everyone elses
    experiences have been. Thanks for input.

8. micahg

micahg Well-Known Member

I gotta have that topo map. Love my garmin it has saved me miles of walkin for sure.

9. kevin housley

kevin housley Well-Known Member

The map is what I like. It shows the roads and stuff. That is worth a lot of money to me considering I don't like to walk no more than I have to. lol