Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Killed him in Eastern OK at 7:20 this morning. I never heard a peep from him until shortly after 7. I yelped and threw in a couple cuts on my diaphragm and he gobbled. I immediately cut back at him and he cut me off...which was my cue to shut up and wait. The wait only lasted about a minute. He came in and I shot him at 24 steps. I know that sounds like he fell into my lap, but I spent 7 hours Saturday pinning down his routine, so I guess in the end the work paid off.

He had an 11 1/4 inch beard, weighed 21 lbs, and had one spur that was one inch and one spur that was a 1/2 inch with both spurs broken.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Killed him in Eastern OK at 7:20 this morning. I never heard a peep from him until shortly after 7. I yelped and threw in a couple cuts on my diaphragm and he gobbled. I immediately cut back at him and he cut me off...which was my cue to shut up and wait. The wait only lasted about a minute. He came in and I shot him at 24 steps.

He had an 11 1/4 inch beard, weighed 21 lbs, and had one spur that was one inch and one spur that was a 1/2 inch with both spurs broken.
Cool story,..Wheres the pics?Whoops spoke too soon.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Killed him in Eastern OK at 7:20 this morning. I never heard a peep from him until shortly after 7. I yelped and threw in a couple cuts on my diaphragm and he gobbled. I immediately cut back at him and he cut me off...which was my cue to shut up and wait. The wait only lasted about a minute. He came in and I shot him at 24 steps. I know that sounds like he fell into my lap, but I spent 7 hours Saturday pinning down his routine, so I guess in the end the work paid off.

Congrats on the bird. Thats a real toad right there. Sounds like you really put in a lot of work and it paid off. I am headed to Kansas on Tuesday, I can't wait.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Nice bird!
I did the same thing this weekend, except the bird that I followed around on Saturday never made a peep and never showed up on Sunday.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Pretty cool, them okie birds are pretty, and all this time I thought Oklahoma didn't have any trees:razz: :thumb:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice bird!
I did the same thing this weekend, except the bird that I followed around on Saturday never made a peep and never showed up on Sunday.
I thought for sure they'd be gobbling Sunday, but I heard more on Saturday morning than on Sunday morning. Stay after him...he'll show up eventually.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
I thought for sure they'd be gobbling Sunday, but I heard more on Saturday morning than on Sunday morning. Stay after him...he'll show up eventually.
It was windy where I was Sunday morning, but I still thought I'd hear him. I was so confident that I sat there listening from sunup until probably 8:00. The woods were so open that I didnt want to go straight to my planned ambush spot for fear of spooking birds. There wasnt that many hunters out though, so at least I didnt have to deal with that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was windy where I was Sunday morning, but I still thought I'd hear him. I was so confident that I sat there listening from sunup until probably 8:00. The woods were so open that I didnt want to go straight to my planned ambush spot for fear of spooking birds. There wasnt that many hunters out though, so at least I didnt have to deal with that.
They're acting weird that's for sure. I'm smart enough to realize I was lucky to get on one early yesterday, otherwise I'd have been in the same boat. My pops went today and didn't hear a bird (other than some ladies), and he was in some great looking areas. I don't know what the deal is, but I hope they break out of their funk by this Saturday!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts