Spinning Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by JR1, Jun 28, 2020.

1. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was a diehard Shimano Sahara fan for several years. But the last couple I've had really dissapointed me.

Have a Pflueger Presidential XT coming via Amazon in the next week or so on the recommendation of a couple friends and anxious to try it out.

What do you guys like in the $50 to $100 range? I'm just too cheap to spend more than that with as little as I'm going to use them in any given year.

KemperCamper likes this.
  2. sam

sam Grand Member

I just about replaced all my spinning reels with the Abu Garcia Revo.

3. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    Sam beat me to it. Love my Revo’s.

JR1 likes this.
  4. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    I only have one spinning reel I really use and it’s a Lews CS200.

I’ve had really good luck with it.

MO HUNTER, JR1 and jackie53 like this.
  5. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I like the Penn Fierce series of reels. Most of mine eventually end up with some use in saltwater - and I have not had good luck with most normal spinning reels in the salt. Most of these reels are $70 to $100.

JR1 likes this.
  6. Gford

Gford Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne

Bismarck
    Diawa Fuego is IMO is the best in that price range

Trump and JR1 like this.
  7. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    I've got over a dozen different spinning reels, but only a few of them are under 9-10 years old. Most are older Daiwa's, & Shimano's. Have a couple of Okuma's & 1 Abu Garcia Cardinal. Don't believe I ever paid more than $35 for any of them, & all of them have been very good to me. Don't own one, but the Pflueger President's, are a very nice reel for the money.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    JR1 likes this.
  8. dartonmav60

dartonmav60 Well-Known Member

Bismarck
    I have several Pflueger President's,you won't be disappointed!!

faithfularcher, JR1 and k9gold like this.
  9. carbonmatrix13

carbonmatrix13 Well-Known Member

I almost refuse to use my spinning rods but when I do they have a Revo premier on them

JR1 likes this.
  10. RAZ

RAZ Well-Known Member

Shimano Spirex is my fav because of the two knob handle. Found a used Alcedo Micron in great shape the other day. Love that little reel. Had one a long time ago but it disappeared. Vintage Cardinal 4 on a Browning Silaflex rod fishes good too. Ironically through the years I never used the old industry standard, the Mitchell 300 very much. It don’t get much better than Creek fishing with a little ultra light rig!!!

JR1 likes this.
  11. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    Mitchell 300 Pro

12. jackie53

jackie53 Well-Known Member

Shimano Shara..Nothing else..!!! 1000....
    The difference in a Shimano and the Rest is the line Roller..is one piece.
    Line does not get behind it and Twist my line..
    I have tried every kind made..They Say the Japanese is the best..Nope..!!! NOT TRUE!!

Shimano...THE BEST..THROW AWAY THE REST!!!

13. Buckrub

Conway
    Shimano, Inc. is a Japanese multinational manufacturer of cycling components, fishing tackle and rowing equipment.

14. k9gold

k9gold Well-Known Member

I'll second and third R6mm and Darton on the Pflueger President's. I've got 3 of them and they have performed well on everything from a 30 lb flathead to a 6 lb smallmouth. $55 - $60 bucks most stores.

faithfularcher, ranger362 and JR1 like this.
  15. jackie53

Yes they are..But they have Japanese Spinner reels a lot better at a more than I will pay for a Spinning Reel..They are top of the line..

16. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Did you read the original post? That is exactly the reel I want to get away from. The last two I've bought (and at least one a friend bought) have been less then desirable. Especially for the price.

There was a day I had a half dozen Saharas in 4 different sizes but those days are over. They lost me as a customer.

ducksoup, orangefeetdown and jackie53 like this.
  17. jackie53

It is what it is..

Remington likes this.
  18. Buckrub

Conway
    I believe the Mitchell 300 pro has 9+1 ball bearings. I paid $60. More now, I'm sure.

If there's a reel that performs better than that for the price, I'd like to try it. I have a President and it's good, but it's no Mitchell 300 pro. Even the lower priced Mitchell 310 has 8 ball bearings. Y'all can have all those fancy high priced reels. If they were better, I'd buy. I don't mind paying for quality.

19. Buckrub

Conway
    Not this time, I don't think.

frogleg likes this.
  20. jackie53

I did read it..Saying you can't beat Shimano spinning Reels think you are making a mistake.....what I am trying to say..