Speed vs. Power??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BigCountry11, Dec 28, 2010.

1. BigCountry11

BigCountry11 Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

My curiosity has been peaked with the power of a 22-250. I figured I could research my question or just come ask ya’ll since it seems this place has the smartest most intelligent gun experts in all the land! I mean when ya stop and think about it we should probably all be wearing white lab coats and pocket protectors with the knowledge we all have! :cool:
    When I think about the 22-250 I don’t necessarily think of it as a deer cartridge, but my thinking has come around this past weekend. I shot my third deer with this caliber and have yet to have one take a step after the shot, so much so that they are dead before ever hitting the ground. What has me puzzled is that I watched my brother in law shoot a deer at the same distance with a 300 mag, making a spectacular behind the shoulder shot and the deer runs 50 to 75 yards before falling. I’m no rifle expert but this makes no since to me. What is it about this small lightning fast caliber that makes it so deadly? Just being curious and really slow at work today. Let me hear your thoughts!

2. atuphilamb

atuphilamb Well-Known Member

My thoughts and i'm no expert but the smaller faster calibers will hit and pass through with little knock down. In reality the animal doesn't know its been shot til its dead. The bigger calibers are designed to hit hard and create massive damage. The deer know they have been shot or know something hurts and run for cover as a reflex. Compare the two as being shot with bb gun or having someone throw a brick at you. Which would you know hit you quicker. As for the .22-250 I hunted the same piece of land as a guy that used one of these back in november in missouri. At least two deer were shot and not recovered. I trailed both the best I could. I shot one with my 7 mag and recovered in 40 yds shot a little high my fault. The smaller calibers are just not that reliable in my opinion shot placement becomes to important. You can be off a little with a large caliber and still get a good hit and damage. A bad shot with that little bullet and you lose the animal (sometimes). But like i know someone will say its all about shot placement. I shoot nothing smaller than .284 cal at a deer. Thats just me I have no need for a small caliber. My .308 will kill yotes as good as anything on the market so no need to by a smaller one.

3. Ekspurt

Ekspurt Well-Known Member

As has been said, shot placement is very important. But bullet selection is just as important, especially when you're talking about smaller calibers like the 22.250.

Most loadings for it are intended for varmints and they do great for that application but are lousy for deer. They may often work with no trouble but then there will be times it hits a rib just right and explodes before penetrating into the vitals and that's when you start following blood trails.

I believe if you stay with a premium bullet the .22-250 is adequate for deer sized game. It's just that your margin for error is reduced.

Bottom line: Shoot what you want to. If it works for you, enjoy. If you find that it doesn't you will be moving on to something else without any pushing from us.

4. go to wikipedia and type in hyrdrostatic shock, its a good link for the info you might find useful. look under the ammo selection for hunting. I call it the "ripple effect" or "waves". This shock puts an animal down before it can even think/blink/or whatever. It does more damage when its well placed in the right spot over a bigger heaiver caliber. the 22-250 is one of the fastest bullets on the market when it comes to the fps. hope this helps! happy hunting!

5. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

One other theory/reason (I am not advocating using a .22 caliber weapon for deer hunting) is that a lot of the larger cartridges have a lot more energy than the smaller calibers, but what good does it do if that energy is expended in the dirt on the other side of the deer. The 22-250 expends all of its energy in a deer (if it does not past thru), and yes - the hydrostatic shock can be devistating.

6. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor

"Speed vs. Power???"

:popcorn:

(Somebody let Mr. C and John Stiles know I have two front row seats reserved for them. Cause this could get interesting quick.)

7. neahunter12

neahunter12 Well-Known Member

Looking at this scientifically you have made a good observation but havent tested it enough to draw a conclusion. I think a combination of good bullets and a good hit on your part plus maybe just a little luck led to quick kills with your 22-250. And I bet your friend just had bad luck or was using poor bullets or maybe a little of both. The best way to figure it out is to test it ALOT and a good way to do this would be to start a poll on here.

8. jonathan_f2003

jonathan_f2003 Well-Known Member

The 60 grain nosler partition that federal loads is an awesome round to use in a 22-250 when deer hunting. I have shot several deer with it and none have ran over 30 yds and plenty of blood to follow. Shot placement and confidence in your equipment always is important no matter what. The magnum calibers have to many people thinking that they can hit them anywhere and find them.

9. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

i couldnt agree more. between this and shot placement. i've seen quite a few deer lost from guys shooting the cheap winchester stuff from their 243's but on the other hand have friends who's kids shoot 243's with BST's and they're dead b4 they hit the ground. those 2 girls can shoot too!

10. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

There was a guy at my old camp 65 or so that shot a 22-250. Killed alot of deer with it never had to track any of them but he always shot them in the neck. I shoot a 308 a 30-06 and a25-06. I have dropped em in there tracks I have also had to track them a hundred yards or so. I believe shot placement is the key and the larger calliber gives more room for error. I think alot of the time those 30yrd runs are the last dash of a dead before hitting the ground. Also I watched a show the other day that said there is a bundle of nerves in a deer shoulder that if hit would paralyze a deer for a short period. This would be those straght drop in tracks shots.

Just redneck thinking
    Probly not much good

11. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

A .22-250 makes a fine deer rifle in the right hands. Shot placement is very important, but not much more important than with bigger calibers. You just have to put the round where it needs to go, period. The general rule for big game is 1000 ft/lbs of kinetic energy for a clean kill. Bigger calibers give you that out to 300-500 yards or more, while the '250 has that out to 100-125 yards or so. On the other hand, I know folks that have cleanly killed deer past 300 yards with one before :shrug: Shooting the proper bullet and choosing proper shot placement are very important, but I think knowing your chosen weapon intimately is even more important. Know where the bullet will hit at a given distance, understand how the bullet will act at that distance and know your rifle and caliber's abilities and limitations and you'll be good to go.

12. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

A 22-250 is one of the best rounds available for Arkansas size deer in my opinion. The explosive speed is deadly. Ive shot many and never had one take a step. Ive even shot them facing me hitting them in chest. I have never had a round pass thru. Pass thru shots are only important when your talking about arrows. When a larger round is used they blow right thru. With a 250 they absorb 100% of the energy. The energy is less but they get the whole shabang. I aint talking from something Ive read, or quoting a magazine. I know from experience. :up:

13. BigCountry11

BigCountry11 Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I killed my first deer with a 250 with it resting on hay bales because I was not hardly big enough to hold it up. from that point on my dream gun was a 250. I have hunted and killed alot of deer with a 270 and a 300 and I love those guns, 2 weeks ago my wonderful wife showed up with my dream gun and I will have to say after putting it to work sunday, I have a feeling I'll be hunting a lot more than just yotes with this little gun!!!