Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm such a newbie that I can safely say that I've never been to Bull Shoals and I have never spear fished...but I want do do both in late August.

With that being said, I don't scuba. Can I spear fish Bull Shoals Lake just by snorkeling?

Any tips for me at all? I know that is such a general question. I still need to buy the spear gun but if my goal of spear fishing Bull Shoals as a newbie is not a good idea, I won't do it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,981 Posts
Probably 8-10’ is about as deep as you want to go without scuba. If there is no current and you can hold your breath for 30-45 seconds you should be fine.
Iv never spear fished where it was really rocky, mainly sandy swa rivers but I have bow fished rocky areas, those rocks play hell on fish points

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Probably 8-10’ is about as deep as you want to go without scuba. If there is no current and you can hold your breath for 30-45 seconds you should be fine.
Iv never spear fished where it was really rocky, mainly sandy swa rivers but I have bow fished rocky areas, those rocks play hell on fish points
Is there anything you don’t know a little about?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Rocks shouldn't be to big an issue. Spearfishing normally you are shooting horizontal and towards the deeper water. I never use a snorkel just sink to the bottom and wait. About 12 ft is as I ever go free diving. It's addictive. Hunting and fishing wrapped up in one. Let the smaller fish swim around and usually the bigger ones will come in. Just like deer hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long can you hold your breath at 12 feet? Wow. I don't think my ears could take the pressure that deep.

·
Premium Member
10,981 Posts
Rocks shouldn't be to big an issue. Spearfishing normally you are shooting horizontal and towards the deeper water. I never use a snorkel just sink to the bottom and wait. About 12 ft is as I ever go free diving. It's addictive. Hunting and fishing wrapped up in one. Let the smaller fish swim around and usually the bigger ones will come in. Just like deer hunting.
I’ve never spear hunted for anything other than catfish, they are always laying on the bottom, usually up against a big log or root wad

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
How long can you hold your breath at 12 feet? Wow. I don't think my ears could take the pressure that deep.
I don't know that I can hold my breath any less length of time at 12' than at 4. I use a rock to get down without using up o2. Any movement you make uses oxygen. And yes it gets the ears hurting.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I’ve never spear hunted for anything other than catfish, they are always laying on the bottom, usually up against a big log or root wad
I hunt alot of rocky points and bluff lines/steep drops. Seems like I'm just shooting into the abyss most of the time. Shoot mostly largemouth and redear and bluegills

·
Premium Member
10,981 Posts
I’ve never noticed ear popping at 10’, that’s about as deep as I’ll go.

·
Premium Member
10,981 Posts
I hunt alot of rocky points and bluff lines/steep drops. Seems like I'm just shooting into the abyss most of the time. Shoot mostly largemouth and redear and bluegills
Did they change the rules to include game fish or are you just a rebel?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Contact Scuba Steve at Blackburns Resort on Lake Norfork. He is the diving guru around the Mountain Home area. Blackburn's is a pretty good place to stay on a visit. Cabins are $59 a night and it includes free boat slip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ended up renting a houseboat on Bull Shoals. Is there anyone in that area that I could hire to take me spear fishing on Bull Shoals (free diving, not SCUBA)?

thanks

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't know that I can hold my breath any less length of time at 12' than at 4. I use a rock to get down without using up o2. Any movement you make uses oxygen. And yes it gets the ears hurting.
If you go deep enough that your ears hurt, you are doing it wrong. Its very easy to equalize your ears and should be done BEFORE it hurts. Simply hold you nose and lightly blow through your nose. Exact same thing scuba divers do on their descent.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
If you go deep enough that your ears hurt, you are doing it wrong. Its very easy to equalize your ears and should be done BEFORE it hurts. Simply hold you nose and lightly blow through your nose. Exact same thing scuba divers do on their descent.
I've tried that with no luck

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've tried that with no luck
If your ears clear going up and down altitudes then they will clear descending to depth.

I used to be a scuba instructor, I've watched many people pinch their nose and blow only to let air escape their mouths. The biggest problem people have is getting behind on clearing, clearing begins on surface. If you feel a pain in the ears, it's to late, ascend and try again at a shallower depth.

·
Registered
404 Posts
A
Did they change the rules to include game fish or are you just a rebel?
Arkansas is legal to spearfish all game fish..only they get half a daily limit of a normal license holder. If the limit is an odd number, say 5, spearfishermen would get two of that species. Some lakes smallmouth and bass are off limits.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
We used to do it in the creeks around here when I was a kid. It is fun. It probably wasn't something GW would approve of.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts