Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first post here! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with smallmouth abss in southwest Arkansas. I was thinking about making a float on the Caddo or maybe the Ouachita river to try to find some good smallmouth fishing. Does anyone know which would be better, or any other places that may be better? I have fished the upper Cossatot and caught some decent smallmouth there, but i was looking for something different and a little easier to fish. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
29,752 Posts
Hey everyone, first post here! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with smallmouth abss in southwest Arkansas. I was thinking about making a float on the Caddo or maybe the Ouachita river to try to find some good smallmouth fishing. Does anyone know which would be better, or any other places that may be better? I have fished the upper Cossatot and caught some decent smallmouth there, but i was looking for something different and a little easier to fish. Thanks!
In my experience, the upper Ouachita generally produces better than the Caddo - both in numbers and quality of fish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The cossatot river between Gilliam Dam and DeQueen was always good to me growing up. You can put in at the Cossatot Reefs Park and take out a Mines Crossing, Ladd Bridge, or 80,000. Rebel Crawdad Crankbait and Rooster Tails never disappoint.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Dragover Campgound in Pencil Bluff on the upper Ouchita has been very good to me and my wife over the years. The best part is that you can launch your canoe at the campground and after about 3 miles get out and walk over the mountain to get your truck which is about a ten minute hike. Fishing is good and scenery is great. We use watermelon lizards rigged weedless is there is not much current or a small weighted worm hook if there is much current. Here are a few links to help.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ar/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif&period=14&site_no=07356000
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2699

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the info! I won't be able to make it this weekend for sure, maybe next weekend if the conditions look good. From the replies I think I will try my luck on the Ouachita.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.