Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eve and I are on our way to South Texas. We just stopped for the night in Waco. We ate Thanksgiving then hit the road. I've taken a guy duck hunting the last couple years who has a 6000 acre low fence ranch around Cotulla TX and he's letting us hunt his ranch. I really don't know what to expect but we are going to give it a go. We like about 4.5 hours in the morning. I'll do a little scouting when we get there and see what happens. We can hunt till Monday afternoon. I'll try and post some updates as long as there is enough signal.

· Registered
117 Posts
Eve and I are on our way to South Texas. We just stopped for the night in Waco. We ate Thanksgiving then hit the road. I've taken a guy duck hunting the last couple years who has a 6000 acre low fence ranch around Cotulla TX and he's letting us hunt his ranch. I really don't know what to expect but we are going to give it a go. We like about 4.5 hours in the morning. I'll do a little scouting when we get there and see what happens. We can hunt till Monday afternoon. I'll try and post some updates as long as there is enough signal.
Hope you can pick up an Axis. Great r eating.

· Registered
3,575 Posts
Good luck. Thanksgiving weekend is usually when they 1st start chasing down there. We were closer to Laredo and the rut usually didn’t peak until the 2nd or 3rd week of Dec, but some years we killed our best deer Thanksgiving weekend.
I think you’ll be a little far south for free range Axis.

· Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we made it down about noon today. There is almost zero service where we are hunting so no day time updates. We saw 6 deer this afternoon. A big 4 point that needed culling, a decent 8 and nice 10. The 10 would probably get shot later in the hunt but Eve said he wasn't a first day shooter. It was a fun sit. The 10 walked by at 20 yards. I got some pics farther out after she decided to pass.
Plant Deer Elk Horn Fawn

· Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First stand we've had any signal in yet. The deer movement has been slow. We saw zero yesterday morning and only one yesterday afternoon on our side of the fence. We did have a shooter 8 point in range yesterday afternoon but he stayed on the wrong side of the fence. We've yet to see a deer this morning but there is a pile of dead javelina in front of us. Not a good move to give Eve and I the opportunity to shoot something we've never even seen before. We are limited out on javelina. 😆

· Premium Member
19,624 Posts
First stand we've had any signal in yet. The deer movement has been slow. We saw zero yesterday morning and only one yesterday afternoon on our side of the fence. We did have a shooter 8 point in range yesterday afternoon but he stayed on the wrong side of the fence. We've yet to see a deer this morning but there is a pile of dead javelina in front of us. Not a good move to give Eve and I the opportunity to shoot something we've never even seen before. We are limited out on javelina. 😆
That's hilarious about the javelina.....

I hope yalls luck changes pretty quick....

· Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We killed 4 javelinas this morning and saw a young 7 and 9 point. Eve dropped the first two javelinas in there tracks. About 10 minutes later I killed 2 more. We are shooting a suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor and they had no idea what was going on. I got both of Eves on video. A little after 10 this morning a big coyote was crossing a road on the sendero. I knew he was about 400 yards and there was no time to move Eve. I dialed the scope to 400 and dropped him. Turns out he was 404 yards. It was a fun morning. We are setting in a blind now and it's about 80 degrees. I'm hoping they move good the last hour or so. It's hot.

· Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well we had another fun day in Texas but didn't shoot any deer. We saw a ton of deer and javelina today but only one mature buck. He came out at 500 yards and made his way toward us. I'm comfortable with her and the guns ability at 400 yards but that's her max for now. The wind was blowing and slightly rocking the stand we were in so I really felt like we needed a deer at 300 or closer. The buck was working toward us but went in the mesquite at 400 yards and we never saw him again. She's passed several nice bucks on the trip. She's dead set on shooting a good one or nothing. 3 hogs were feeding in a different road the last 10 minutes of light. Once it got too dark to tell what size a buck was I gave here the green light on the pigs. I told her to head shoot the front pig. She earholed him at 108 yards 32 minutes after sunset. We saw around 25 deer, 20 javelina, and 3 pigs this afternoon. It was by far our best sit. I had planned on leaving about 5 in the morning headed home but we are going to
hunt for about an hour then hit the road.
Hunting Deer hunting Vertebrate Military camouflage Outdoor recreation

1 - 20 of 20 Posts