Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we just got back from the Blk Hills and all I can say was WOW! Incredible place- the birds had there way with us most of the time as it took several days to get a game plan figured out but the wife and I did finally find some birds- I took one that was suppose to be her's and I'll explain that later! Was some of the prettiest scenery I have ever seen plus wildlife everywhere, we wasnt in the woods 30 minutes and saw 8 bull elk within 75 yrds! Saw between 2 and 3 thousand whitetail and mulies- probably 15 elk and plenty of pronghorn! The best thing was in 6 days of hunting we never saw another turkey hunter anywhere around us and in all those days we encountered maybe 10 trucks that had hunters and we drove many a mile each day! Here are a few pictures
1st place we stopped on day 1

A few of the many many deer

Elk Rub and my better half

A view from the cabin

Hell Canyon where we fin
ally found some birds
Another shot of Hell Canyon

·
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wife the last morning we got to hunt- we had a gobbler gobble at least 100 times this morning but he would not top the ridge and we couldnt get around to him- she wasnt real happy!

Game trails everything from turkey mule deer elk used these!

Mt Rushmore

Crazy Horse

·
Registered
14,537 Posts
I've been waiting to hear how your hunt went!!!
Sounds like yall had a good time. That's a neat part of the country. Sorry the Mrs didnt get one, but hell, I'll take a 50% success rate on a DIY hunt any day.
Congrats! That's a pretty bird.

·
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The turkey Story! As I said earlier I took this bird and it was SUPPOSE to be the wife's, I took one in Arkansas the first weekend so we both agreed that she would harvest the first gobbler we seen- well we chased these 2 gobblers the next to the last day we hunted in Hell Canyon- these 2 gobblers flew down and started gobbling and gathering hens at 4:45am - never been around birds that hit the ground so early:smack: And man they like to gobble well of course he took off on the opposite ridge we hunted as he did the day before so we took to following them trying to call em and a couple of times they would head back towards us only to have the 5 hens they were with take em away from you finally we got to within about 100 yrds of em and set up and started calling and they would cut you off and double gobble it was really exciting and usually the wife and I hunt side by side but she setup about 30 yrds from me and I started calling and they seemed to be working when I saw the hens quartering away from us up a ridge top kinda parralel to our set up- I watched 2 hens then 3 hens and I saw the 2 gobblers falling in behind em! I only had a small window to see em and when the 1st gobbler appeared I yelped and he started strutting- then starts to top the hill and I figure my wife cant see em from where she is so I let it go and shoot the gobbler, well I found out she was on em but was waiting for it to clear a tree:smack: So needless to say I shot her bird!! She couldve been allot more upset than she was though! It was a trip we will remember for a long time! It ended up 4 of us took a gobbler and 4 didnt, with 3 of the ones that didnt missed 2 times- the wife was the only one who didnt miss or get a bird but I already explained my part in that!

·
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! Buba looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing pictures they are great. Tee
T if you couldve seen her face when she walked out of that burned area! I knew I was in for a long ride back to Arkansas!! Asked her what she said after sitting on that ridge hearing that Turkey gobble probably 100 times! I told her the next time we went I would only carry a pocket full of rocks:smack:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.