Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I got up determined to do my thing....04:30 I was walking out the door, coffee cup in hand! When I got to the place I was set up, it was still very dark, with about half a bright moon, so I ditched the truck, and took off walking that green mile to my creek blind. When I got there my feet were soaked with heavy dew, and I was already shivering from the 47degree cold. As it began to lighten up, a Cardinal graced the morning, followed by an owl. A few minutes later a gobble split the silence, about 300yds behind me, and I let out a cackle with my lips to let him know where I was. 30 minutes later he was 100yds behind me and began gobbling every couple minutes. When the hen didn't come running to him, he went the other way, gobbling every breath it seemed. But he was headed for another blind I set up, on the hay meadow fence in some plum bushes dividing two fields. After he was nearly across the hay meadow, I picked my way through the trees to a short stretch of tall grass I sprinted across to get to the blind. Inside I had a real cute hen decoy named Sally, and I belly crawled out to stick her up. What followed next was textbook, as I clucked and cutted every few minutes followed by lots of gobbling. I finally heard him in the hay meadow right behind me, and I turned and let down the rear wing window, and there he stood, right in the bright sun shine, all the lower waddles were as red as crimson....I poked the old single barrel out the window, put the bead on his eye, and "SNAP"! Lord, no....this has never happened to me, I cocked the hammer and dropped it on him again and "Snap" was all he heard, and he turned to leave; as I breeched the gun...out flew the 3" Remington Nitro #5, and plink, it hit my water bottle....and the old Tom took off, as I threw shell #2 into that hole and snaped her shut....he was just passing 35 yards as I fired that second shell at his bobbing red head....and he rose into flight, his head cocked to one side with a beady eye looking right at me! All I have left to show, is 4 cut feathers, and a stupid looking shell that was the DUD that did me in! Sorry, y'all, but sooner or later, things go bad! This is the first time it happened to me, I hope it is the last!:frown:

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Been there and done that, John.
I was shooting Federals at the time.
My uncle was shooting Winchester Extended Range this season and had a dud shell cost him a bird.
Sometimes our only luck seems to be bad luck when it comes to turkey hunting.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Been there and done that, John.
My uncle was shooting Winchester Extended Range this season and had a dud shell cost him a bird.
I had a Win XR snap on a MO bird Saturday morning....hunted my butt off for all week and that was the first bird I had within range, 17 steps in the decoys to be exact and with the Mossberg 935 you have to manually load one in to the barrel...Got to looking and the primer was set down in the brass a good bit farther than all the rest....why did I have to have that one in the barrel :banghead: :banghead:

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
From the looks of the primer, it appears to be an off center and light hit. Makes me wonder if the bolt was completely closed. The dent is just on the edge of the primer and not very deep. A good hit will be centered on the primer and deep. I hate to say it, but you might be blaming faulty ammo on operator error.

·
56,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From the looks of the primer, it appears to be an off center and light hit. Makes me wonder if the bolt was completely closed. The dent is just on the edge of the primer and not very deep. A good hit will be centered on the primer and deep. I hate to say it, but you might be blaming faulty ammo on operator error.
It's a single barrel H/R.....always hits like that, that's the very first one to misfire on me! Several years ago I got concerned about the low hit the firing pin had....took it all apart...when I re-assembled it, it had a new firing pin, new hammer and new springs. Guess what...didn't change nuttin:smack: :razz: I'm gonna stick that shell in my mossberg and letter fly....just to see what happens....got any bets?:biggrin:

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
John I had the opposite happen to me and the wife in South Dakota- I carried my 3.5 12 gauge and since we were hunting a 200 acre field that afternoon I had the wife tote her 243 Rem 700, as I loaded a round and closed the bolt the gun fired!:censored: I always point the muzzle to the ground but it scared the crap out of us as well as any gobbler around I am sure!I couldnt make it do it again but everytime we used it after that was concerning. Still cant figure out why it discharged but it will be going to a gunsmith- could a unproperly set primer cause this:head:

·
56,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would bet that shell will fire. Have you tried to fire it a second time? :thumb:
If you'll read my post, you will see that I indeed dropped the hammer twice on that shell.....had to....the turkey was standing there looking to see what that loud snap was....and it went snap again:frown: that's when I knew I had to make a sweeping movement that he would certainly see as I loaded another shell......and the dud shell that fklew out banged into my empty water bottle making the final big noise as I thumbed the new round in and slammed it shut:smack:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.