Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday morning my 15 year old son Dustin and I decided to go squirrel hunting one last time before the end of the season. We were on the Pine Tree Experimental Station in eastern Arkansas.

We hadn't gotten more then 30 yards into the woods when we heard what sounded like a deer walking in water. (We were on the edge of a flooded creek.) It was thick and we couldn't see very far into the woods but we could tell what ever was splashing was headed in our direction.

Then to our surprise this male coyote jumped up on a log not 15 yards away! What he was doing in knee deep water I'll never know but whatever the reason it's something he won't be doing again. Dustin busted him with #6 high brass from his 12 gauge. The critter flipped backwards off the log and started doing what I thought was a death flop but then managed to get on his feet to make a get away.

But old Dustin was quick with a follow-up shot and laid the pooch to rest. We skinned him and now have the hide salted and nailed to a board. In about a week we'll put him in a salt / acid solution to tan the hide. We've used that process several times on everything from mink to deer. It seems to work well at preserving the pelt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys - I'll pass your congrats along to the boy.

Dustin has been my hunting companion ever since he was old enough to carry a bb gun, not to mention my fishing and camping buddy too. Being involved in outdoor activities has been a big part of his life. It's no guarentee a kid won't get into trouble, but when his goals and dreams are more focused on things like saving for a 4X4, or patching up an old john boat which he and I and the neighbor's kid dragged off the bottom of the St. Francis River last summer when the water was low, I think he's going to be a lot less likely to become involved in things like gangs and drugs. I just wish more kids had the opportunity.

Dustin's sister, my beautiful daughter Lauren, was killed in a car crash last October. I don't mean to drag everyone down by telling you this but I want you to know that there were no more special times then those we shared as a family together camping, fishing or hunting. Since her passing the times my son and I have spent together afield have been healing times for us. Nothing will ever fill the void in our hearts completely, but nothing has come closer.

·
Super Moderator
14,343 Posts
Wow Otter---I never realized who you were until now. Congrats to Dustin on the 'yote. It sure is good to see a dad raising his kids to enjoy the outdoors. I know you still hurt for Lauren, she truly was a beautiful young lady. The love will always be there, but we'll pray that the pain will subside. Come by and see me sometime!

Larry Jones
fullcredit

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow Otter---I never realized who you were until now. Congrats to Dustin on the 'yote. It sure is good to see a dad raising his kids to enjoy the outdoors. I know you still hurt for Lauren, she truly was a beautiful young lady. The love will always be there, but we'll pray that the pain will subside. Come by and see me sometime!

Larry Jones
fullcredit
Much appreciated sir.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.