Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me why, I spent 5 days up at Highway 27 on Lake Ouahita returning Memorial Day- every morning I fished I heard dogs running deer, in 3 different areas of the lake each morning these hounds were running deer? I saw a few week old fawn wandering around looked to be in shock and I watched a doe swim out into the lake with her tongue hanging out about ran to death on another morning! Fawns are dropping right now, its hot why would anyone take pleasure in running there hounds this time of the year?? Can someone point out what I am missing in doing this?:head:

·
3,605 Posts
But was it a good "race"?

Count me among those of you who don't get it.

Most of those guys who run dogs this time of year will start a fight with you over killing a coyote or a fox in season. Yet they run deer to death and they love it.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Could it be possible that they were just loose and running? Could have been strays. I dont hunt deer with dogs but you have to give them the benifit of the doubt since you didnt actualy see any one turn the dogs loose.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Could it be possible that they were just loose and running? Could have been strays. I dont hunt deer with dogs but you have to give them the benifit of the doubt since you didnt actualy see any one turn the dogs loose.
trust me, they run deer year round up there:frown: there is a whole bunch of outlaws around there and the back side of ouachita:frown:

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
trust me, they run deer year round up there:frown: there is a whole bunch of outlaws around there and the back side of ouachita:frown:
Hey I live in the area!!!!!!!!!

There are dogs that free around here all year long.

I even got me a new dog............a half blood hound and walker..........He aint no threat ...........He just seems to have interest in eating bugs!!:head:

I think alot of dogs have been dumped and are wild around here and that could be some.
Maybe wild dog season is in order.:head:

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like we need to go on dog hunt......:up:
Had I seen one close enough after that fawn I couldnt have shot it but I would have stuck it with a Zara Spook:mad:

TH I heard em on the North Side directly across from you and off Freedom Road area of the lake- I didnt see all of em that were running but the ones we did see had collars and didint look wild but I never saw anyone turn em loose! But I can tell you it aint good for the deer herd this time of thje year!

·
Registered
260 Posts
We have a cabin near Little Fir, on the north side of the lake. They run the dogs there year round. They run the same pattern (route) just about everytime . Then when it is legal to kill a deer they know right where the deer are crossing the roads. I have killed some nice bucks in front of some dogs over there, but I agree it is crazy to run dogs year round.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.