Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here you go, finally got a second bird and I don't have to eat my other tag afterall... Not much of a story, we had patterned 3 gobblers for the last week or so that only gobble on the roost. They have roosted in the same tupelo trees in a creekbottom next to a swamp for the last week and the only way to approach them was from the side of a ridge above the little creek. We've set up as close as 70 yards from them, but they don't want anything to do with calls. After watching them pitch out a few mornings and hit wide open creekbottom about 200 yards away, I made a big circle and set up there in the dark. I called ZERO times, just sat there. At 6:15 when their feet hit the ground, one went home with me. Not the textbook turkey hunt by any means, but I guess with the way this season has been so crazy, you take em' where you get em'! I've never had so many hunts where birds would gobble their heads off on the roost only to shut up when their feet hit the ground. Another wierd thing was they hardly ever went into the fields in the mornings, but stuck in the creekbottoms and were not answering calls at all. The first bird I killed was in the same field I killed both my birds in last year, but I had bumped a bunch of birds off the roost in the dark and so I think he might have just been lonely being bumped off by himself. Otherwise, it has been a strange year to say the least. My BIL killed a jake in the same area last Friday morning, the first jake he's killed in 9 years, but was getting desperate I think. We were circling to set up on a gobbler roosted right on the river bank and were about 100 yards away when I heard a hen cluck. We froze and started looking in the trees and there she was about 20 foot up on an oak limb about 15 yards away. It was breezy and we had our facemasks and gloves on already b/c of the stupid gnats. She never spooked and we stood there for 15 good minutes while it was getting light and heard several hens in the trees around us. The big tom kept gobbling 100 yards away, but we were pinned down. We thought about just busting up the hens b/c we knew they would probably fly his way, but luckily while we were discussing it in a whisper, the first hen flew out his way. A couple of turkeys flew down and I look to my right and here comes a bird gliding across a creek branch headed straight for my head. It hit the ground a whole 5 steps from me. I thought I was going to have to kill it in self-defense. Anyway, I see it's a jake, but I'm between the bird and my BIL who I want to shoot it, so I duck and it runs forward and he misses it at about 8 steps but rolls it with the 2nd shot about 15 yards out. We never made a call or anything that day either. The day before I was hunting my family farm and just leaned back against a gate down on our creek waiting to hear a gobble when a hen pitched out of a tree 20 yards from me and hit the ground about 10 steps away and stood there walking around for 10 minutes before flying across the creek. I didn't even have my facemask or gloves on and was just standing there.:smack: I like being a turkey magnet, but not in that way!!! I don't know why the birds acted so crazy this year, I guess it was the crazy weather around here! I'm just glad I got lucky twice I guess!:up:

21 lbs
10.5 inch beard
1 1/4 spurs

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner
1,137 Posts
way to go bryan on a good season......went this morning more less as formality i think to wave the white flag......finished the arkansas season without hearing a turkey gobble......never done that before! :mad: :give:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.