Some kind of tool

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by moose, Jan 9, 2011.

  1. moose

    moose Well-Known Member

    Found these digging through and old tool chest I have and found these pliers. What are they used for?


  2. mossyhorn

    mossyhorn Well-Known Member

    almost looks like the thing in the center is a method of grounding....? IDK though.

  3. mmcginty19

    mmcginty19 Well-Known Member

    They are wire twisting pliers. You clamp the wire in the end and squeeze till the handles lock and then grab the silver knob only and pull. It will twist up bailing wire and hot wire and stuff like that.
  4. Got some of those- they are safety wire twisters. You run the wire through the holes in special bolts, clamp the ends of the wire in the pliers, the pull on the knob in the middle. Voila! Twisted wire.
  5. Arkiehunter74

    Arkiehunter74 Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2015 Sprin

    They are military issued pliers used for twisting wire. A lot of larger caliber weapons are made where after nuts are tight on the weapon, you use wire tightly twisted through pre-drilled holes in order to ensure the nuts will not back off during the rigors of firing. We use this every time we clean a MK19 (40MM belt fed machine gun). I also have a pair around the house and use them quite often. Also used a bunch on Military aircraft, or so I have been told.
  6. moose

    moose Well-Known Member

    Man, I've been racking my brain looking at these things.:banghead: I figured someone on here knew what they were for.
  7. arkyduckboy

    arkyduckboy Well-Known Member

    Absolutely correct. We use them on our race bikes to wrap wire around grips so they hold tightly
  8. arcountryboy

    arcountryboy Well-Known Member

    We use them at Floracraft for wiring bags of shredded foam together.
  9. browning_gold_12

    browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

    safety wire pliers. used them back when i worked in the aviation maintenance industry. cant believe i beat soarkrebel to it! funny thing, my connection is slow, and when i read the post, i thought about this kind of pliers before the pics ever loaded!
  10. neotoxo

    neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

    Here is quick read on safety wiring techniques...good thing to know.

    Having spent 22 years in the USAF and 18 of those years either working
    on or teaching others how to work on aircraft I consider myself to have
    an advanced degree in Safety Wiring Technology :biggrin:
  11. moose

    moose Well-Known Member

    I also found some small spools of wire as pictured in the link. Also found some other tools that were in a case. Looks like they have interchangeable heads. My dad was in the air force and worked in missile sylow's and on planes. This is were these may have come from.
  12. Those are some ancient safety wire pliers. Used them thousands of times.....have 4 pair right in my tool box.
    Those are very they have a company name stamped on them?
    Robinson makes a lot of them.
    Not real cheap either......I have a pair of SnapOns that run around $125 bucks for the shorty tiger wave ones.
  13. moose

    moose Well-Known Member

    Only name on them is Milbar...Cf Ohio U.S.A 44022