Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a gift card to BP for Christmas and am trying to decide what to get. I think a fly reel is in order. My current set up is a good rod with a not so good reel. In fact, my current reel came off the $19.99 fly fishing kit at Wal-Mart that I bought oh probably 8 years ago. So, I say I'm far over due for an upgrade.

What do you fly fisherman (or fisher people to be politically correct.:smack:) know about this reel and/or manufacturer. Thanks :up:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1-1?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I don't know anything about that particular reel, but Redington is generally decent lower end stuff. It's not likely to be the best made, but I suppose it's good enough. For freshwater fly fishing, the reel is little more than something to hold the line. So, it is likely to make a decent freshwater fly fishing reel. I've been using the Orvis Battenkill reels for a long time. It's their bottom line reel and they've work fine for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know anything about that particular reel, but Redington is generally decent lower end stuff. It's not likely to be the best made, but I suppose it's good enough. For freshwater fly fishing, the reel is little more than something to hold the line. So, it is likely to make a decent freshwater fly fishing reel. I've been using the Orvis Battenkill reels for a long time. It's their bottom line reel and they've work fine for me.
Yeah the one I have which couldn't cost more that $10 if it were sold by itself has done fine the last 8 years but I've noticed it's starting to wear out. :smack: And I would just like something a tad bit nicer. :up:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.