Snow hunting...

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Cisco, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Cisco

Cisco Active Member

If the forecast is correct, we could get significant snow this week in the river valley ( zone 6) and other parts of the state. With a 3 day post-Christmas hunt this week too, post up your plan/ tactics for a snow hunt.

Best time of day ? Staying warm? Deer pattern changes? Etc.

2. tjp1027

tjp1027 Well-Known Member

Killed my biggest last year when it snowed. Trail can pics showed tons of movement right before and after the snow including the only daytime pic I got of a 5 year old 8 point. I plan on hunting as long as I can going to the truck and warming up then going back out.

3. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator Staff Member Sponsor

I will be sure to take my propane heater with me to the box stand.....:biggrin: And the coffee......and my new Under Armor that is supposed to be so great....some leftover turkey or ham.......I can make it just fine. Just hope the deer come by. The deer know where the tater pile is and they know how to dig em out of the snow! Gotta move my camera back to the tater pile today. Might get some great pics!

4. Pokey

Pokey Well-Known Member

With that new Highrise Condo you've got, I'm surprised you don't have a cook stove in it!!! :fit:

5. duck

duck Well-Known Member

My experience is, WHILE its snowing, the deer will stand around like horses. Just standing there watching and usually in a thicket. After the snow stops, the deer are hungry and will be looking for food. You will find more deer trails and tracks in the THICKETS. Honey suckle thickets are good to look for. The longer the snow stays on the ground, the more the deer will move looking for food. :up:

6. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

First deer I ever killed with a bow was in the snow. It was easy to track. I like hunting in the snow because they move looking for food. And you can see them coming from farther away through the woods.

7. GotPork

GotPork Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei

:woohoo: Bring on the snow!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    I wish I could go.

Last time I did it, I sat in a blind in 1983 with a 13" snow, and watched deer jumping over snow drifts, and redbirds landing on treebranches, and how I wish I'd have had a good camera.......what memories.

9. canuck

canuck Well-Known Member

I grew up hunting whitetails in the snow. My favorite time to hunt them is about 9am the morning after a good snow. Cut a set of big tracks and start following it slowly. Typically the tracks will by in a relatively straight line at first (this is when they are on route to their bedding area) and then once you notice the tracks zigzagging slow down because that is an indication the deer are looking for the best place to bed. At that point move at a snails pace and be on the lookout and ready! Lots of times right before they bed they will hook to the side so they can watch their back trail so don't just be looking straight ahead. Stalking up on a big buck in the snow is one of the funnest experiences you'll ever have! Good luck to all!

10. BIG JIM

BIG JIM Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye

I'm with Fullcredit on this one. I"ll get my heater, and some snacks out and I can make it all day.:thumb:

11. CDay

CDay Well-Known Member

I enjoy hunting in the snow, planning to hunt some new land down around Forest City for the Christmas Hunt. I usually do not sit and hunt right after a snow fall spend the day looking for fresh tracks and seeing where they go, that time can really reveal alot of valuable information for years to come.

12. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Nothing and I mean truely nothing makes me as giddy as playing in the snow. It brings out the kid in me for sure. Hunting in the snow is magic in the forest. :clap:

I love it. And I just hope I get to rifle hunt in it. But our plant starts back up after Christmas, the morning the snow is supposed to hit. I hope I get to be in the woods with snow on the ground.

Miketyson26 :flag:

13. Cisco

Cisco Active Member

Latest forecast shows Johnson County ( my area) getting bulls-eyed. We're in the 3-5 range with bands of 8+. Igotta decide between snow deer hunting or snow jeeping!

Probably a combo of the 2!

14. Ekspurt

Ekspurt Well-Known Member

I just hope it stays cold for about a week so, if I get another deer, I can let it hang out in the shop for 4-5 days to age before butchering.

15. Cisco

Cisco Active Member

So post up.....who's going out tomorrow and what time is best?

16. jdawg

jdawg Super Member<br>2013-14 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I'm going and can't wait!! I'm just hoping ole big boy will stroll by.

17. RJCNoles

RJCNoles Well-Known Member

Same here! Gonna sit daylight to dark. They should be moving good tomorrow.

18. Whitebread

Whitebread Well-Known Member

Ill be out there too.

19. Nat1

Nat1 Well-Known Member

Il be there alllll day!Im hoping for one of those magical days!

20. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator Staff Member Sponsor

I will be there if I can get there! Only about a 15 mile drive, but it might take a little longer tomorrow! And I hope I don't have to sit all day! Hoping ole Hightower comes in as soon as the weather breaks.