Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just go scouting and find the geese. Then go and try and find the farmer, usually they wont care at all if you shoot them.

Make sure you take care of their property and dont give us hunters a bad reputation.

And if you run into me make sure you invite me to hunt with you. :up:

·
Premium Member
29,741 Posts
The big problem you will have is finding the farmer. Much of the land is owned by people who don't live there. They may live 100 miles away and by the time you track them down, the geese are gone. I have always thought the massive increase in snow goose numbers occurred with the change in the Arkansas trespass laws. It used to be, if the ground was not posted, you could hunt there. Now the law says you must have permission, whether it is posted or not. A lot of the farmers did not post their massive bean fields and there were lots of hunters in the delta, killing lots of snow geese because land access was not a problem. Almost all the folks I know, including myself, have quit hunting the geese because of a lack of land access. Used to be, if we found two or three bunches of geese to sneak in one day, that was good. Now you might find 10 bunches you could sneak, if you had persmission to hunt, because hardly anyone is hunting them anymore.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Goose Hunting is a lot of work. I have tried it all but enjoy hunting over decoys more than anything. The best thing i have found to do is go to the Delta not planning on hunting and start scouting the geese. Then start talking to people and find out who farms the land. I have never ran into anybody whoe lived too far from the land you want to hunt. The owner may live out of state or a long way from it but the guy who farms it will be the one who will let you hunt it. You may have to go to several houses before you find out who it is, then he may be at the shop down the road or the local cornerstore/coffee shop but usually they will tell you to hunt their land or they know someone else who is having trouble with the geese and can direct you to them. One day scouting and talking to the farmers in the area can usually line you up for the season. I have had good luck even if the geese aren't hitting his field after i tell them i have decoys, will clean up all of my shotgun hulls and not tear up their fields. The main thing is to have at least a field between where the geese are coming and going to set up in. It is however ideal to set up in a field they are using every day. You can really hammer them then. Always be set up and ready when it breaks first light and the geese get up. I always take duck decoys and set them out too. We have killed more mallards, widgeon, and pintail than some of the farmers duck hunting out of their blinds. It always helps to invite the farmer to hunt with you if he likes also. Occasionally they will take you up on the offer. Before you kill ducks always make sure it is o.k. with the farmer to shoot them if they decoy some are picky about this but most will say if they are stupid enough to decoy in a dry field then shoot them. Good Luck:up:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Wait til after duck season, otherwise you run into a lot of duck lease ground you wont get permiss on most of the time.
If you can get your hands on some plat maps of the counties you will be trying to hunt the most they go a long ways in finding owners.
Another tip, Find the farm bureau agent that in the county or town you will be hunting around and stop and pay him a visit, they will usually know who will and who wont let you hunt.
regardless always ask permiss first.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I know a couple places that look to be holding geese pretty well... If anyones got some dekes and wants to make a trip of it lemme know... I can drive out that way and try to find the farmer... We can setup a hunt.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
When we went to Memphis for christmas, I saw two fields that had several hundreds/thousands (not sure of the numbers but there were lots). If it wasn't so such a long drive I would just cruise I-40 past Brinkley and pull over and shoot. I wish I had carried my shotgun with me that weekend. I almost did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.