Snaring Coyotes

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by bloody acorns, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience - snaring coyotes - I was thinking about setting some out

2. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    I'm not a snaring expert or even amateur. I have snared a few at fence crossings, but use caution when dogs are in the area.

3. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

I was wondering what percentage of the snared yotes will still be alive

4. d.bobo

d.bobo Well-Known Member

hope
    If you use the washer type locks an put them where they cant tangle on something most all of them .

5. gunswapper

gunswapper Well-Known Member

Be careful around fence crossings. It is illegal in Arkansas to set close enough to the fence that the snare will touch the fence when fully extended. A deer stop is also required futher from a body of water than 20 feet; if you are wanting the coyote to be alive the deer stop can be set where it will hold the coyote but not close tight enough to choke him. I don't know the distance to place the deer stop but someone on here should be able to give that info!

6. OuachitaMtnMan

OuachitaMtnMan Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    That is my best method for catching yotes and bobcats. Find a thicket on the edge of a field and look for the trails coming out of the thicket (or look for any trails coming into a field). Set your snares at the mouth of those trails where you can check them by driving by and not leave any scent. Make sure you have the button stop that keeps it from closing all the way so you don't catch any deer by the leg. Your loop can't be bigger than 12" I believe and it can be no higher than 10" off the ground. 10" high is good for yotes and big cats, 8" high is good for most bobcats. I just mainly set them at 10" high to target yotes.

7. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

got some bout to try them