Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had trouble with washer snares slipping? I got a new washer snare and when I tried it, it didn't lock real good on my arm but I thought it must not be in the right situation to stick so I put it out and sure enough, something tripped it and it got out.

Is it because its new? If I take the "new" off of it, will it work better and if so, what's a good way to do that?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Being new should have nothing to do with it. It's possible that the angle it's bent might be off or something. Do you have others to compare it to? My guess it was just one of those times when things didn't go right. I've had lots of times when I didn't seal the deal with a snare. Sometimes the loop could even be a little big for the animal that went through there and they get most of the way through before it starts closing down and then they just slip out.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frogleg. Just ordered a dozen camlocks from F&T last night. I think I'm gonna like those better. Got a bunch of wire, ferrules and emt conduit. Going to start making my own snares and disposable stakes. I've learned a lot from Youtube the last couple of days. All my sets are wrong or could be lots better so I'm looking forward to being off tomorrow to reset my traps and make some sure nuff good dirt hole sets.

While we're talking, is peat moss a must and what are some options besides screen to cover my trap to keep dirt from getting under the pan?

·
Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner
2,655 Posts
Just ordered a dozen camlocks from F&T last night.
FYI, In case your don't know, only single piece snare locks can be used on land...however, there are no restrictions on snares used in water sets...some will argue that camlocks are not allow at all but the regulations don't exclude them in water sets...only on land sets.

On tripped snares and pull-outs...most times if the snare is completely closed something got in it and pulled out...if it is just tripped and lying on the ground most likely something bumped it and it started closing...especially on snares that are loaded and not set to resist firing by wind movement or an animal brushing by...

Personally, I load all my snares, most according to what my target animal is, a loaded snare will close faster and smaller helping to eliminate misses...

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my cam locks aren't legal even on private land? Dangit! Seems like all the best sets and equipment is illegal here. Is this not a very trapper friendly state or what? Can't do feather or fur sets, cant do meat on a tree, can't have camlocks...I got a lot to learn it seems.

All I know is that snare didn't seem to work and once put out, didn't work. I think an animal got in it because the snare was on the ground and had been pulled to a smaller circle.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Peat is not a must. You can use dry dirt for covering or in some situations no covering at all. You can put insulation under the pan to keep dirt out, and I am going to try some quilt batting this year and see how it works.

·
Banned
519 Posts
Try boiling all your snares in a heavy baking soda water for 20 mins, then bend your washer closed just a lil bit past 90degrees on one snare and see how that works. You can only use a one piece LOCK, but it doesnt have to be a one piece SNARE. Try threading another nut behing your lockwasher that will slide and lock the washer in place.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try boiling all your snares in a heavy baking soda water for 20 mins, then bend your washer closed just a lil bit past 90degrees on one snare and see how that works. You can only use a one piece LOCK, but it doesnt have to be a one piece SNARE. Try threading another nut behing your lockwasher that will slide and lock the washer in place.
Thanks guys. Midnight, I saw a video of a guy using that polyester pillow stuffing under his pans. THat would probably be a good cheap way to go.

Camo,
My snare has a double ferrule that hasn't been crimped sliding along the wire above the lock. Is that there to work like the nut your are talking abut you think?

·
Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner
2,655 Posts
So my cam locks aren't legal even on private land? Dangit! Seems like all the best sets and equipment is illegal here. Is this not a very trapper friendly state or what? Can't do feather or fur sets, cant do meat on a tree, can't have camlocks...I got a lot to learn it seems.

All I know is that snare didn't seem to work and once put out, didn't work. I think an animal got in it because the snare was on the ground and had been pulled to a smaller circle.
That description sounds like a critter pulled out of it ... that is why I like loaded snares...a coon will just reach up and pull a slow closing snare off...

As for camlocks...I'm just passing on information...you do as you choose on your own property...but the regulations don't differentiate between public and private land...the regs apply to all land within the borders of the state of Arkansas...

Snares are terribly simple devices but there are many different ways to put them together and use them.

7x7 3/32" is a common choice and works well with a variety of lock designs...IMHO ADC washer locks are a good all around lock...Slim Locks are fast and lock up good...

Personally I prefer 1x19...it's stiffer, loads well and will snap shut when properly loaded and it isn't given to fraying and chewing through like 7x7

Most anyone can throw together a working snare...there is a local Co-Op near by that carries snares made by on of their employees...they will work but are by my opinion quite slow and lacking in tuning...

Arkansas's trapping regs are fairly liberal...I'd like more freedom but If you want to see restrictive go to Florida...there unless you own an Animal Control Business and are registered and licensed you can't use foot holds or conibears...cages and snares only for the common man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts