Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been thinking on snare locks. I been wanting to a different lock in water besides a one piece lock. Places it flooded and use a castor pole set. I email Blake S at the game and fish. He said there is no restriction on snare locks in the water. So i am breaking the death blow locks out . And going to make a dz up too use. On land i will go back to the mini pro lock.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I made up 14 snares with a death blow cam lock . Going to use them in water for beaver and try them on an otter. Setting in water u can use any lock and no deer stop. Going to hang them from a kill pole.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I think I have about 2500 death blows out there.
A friend wanted to get his dad some Wyoming legal snares. So I look up the regs, build some up (cam lock, kill spring, 275lb bad, deer stop, in line swivel 8ft long) and get them to him. He started catching mule deer and lions. There's actually a vid on youtube of him releasing a lion with a cheap dollar store broom.
I started making calls to everybody that I knew dealt with cams and bads. It took 2 years of trial and error to finally understand what was happening and fix the problem.
With a standard 5/64 cam lock we backed down to a 225# bad on 11ft of 5/64 cable.
With a 5/64 death blow we backed down to 190lb bad. Still killing lions.

Robert Waddell said to try a oversize lock so we put a 3/32 death blow on 5/64 cable.
We were able to back down to a 110 lb. Bad, actually run a few 90lb, it releases lions but held coyotes and cats.
If your going to use them on otter put a washer between the end stop and the lock. It will help with. cable twist as he is rolling. And if you have a bunch of thrown snares set the lock a 1 o clock. Make it have to climb over center to fire. Wind is hard on cams

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running a # 6/0 barrel swivel. Going to see if they help with way they twist. Did the death blow lock dispatch very good? I know some guys in Iowa uses them on coons with a killpole.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got them at a very good deal on them . They are rosco brand in matte finish. Thats why i bought them . I bought cheaper one's for my coon snaring. They are rated for max 450 pd.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jackie53 have you ever use a Gregerson lock (i think that is the name)?
And a Berkshire large washer lock. It is a relaxing lock. But you bend it some. And it turns into a non relaxing lock. That is the lock i learned how to snare with. Old man Bullard in Newport. Inside Bullards fur and pecan. Thats how i learned. Strated catching beaver after beaver. I was snaring slids on white river.

·
Premium Member
30,432 Posts
Jackie53 have you ever use a Gregerson lock (i think that is the name)?
And a Berkshire large washer lock. It is a relaxing lock. But you bend it some. And it turns into a non relaxing lock. That is the lock i learned how to snare with. Old man Bullard in Newport. Inside Bullards fur and pecan. Thats how i learned. Strated catching beaver after beaver. I was snaring slids on white river.
No I haven't..Dog Proofs and Live Traps....
Went to all live Traps..to many valuable "expensive" pets in our area.. They hire high dollar pet detectives to hunt down their fur babies in our area..

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I been seeing fox showing up in few guys dog
Proof lately on u tube . Happen to me one time. If it was legal on land. I would run a cam lock of some type. Now i run more mini pro locks than any other one there lately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts