Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With duck season not far along, for those hunting Felsenthal.. This past weekend i decided to load my pirogue up and go into the refuge and just scout around..I had paddled down deep slough, probably a mile from my truck.. when i looked to the side about 25 yrds of and saw, the largest snapping turtle I had ever seen, whether it being in the wild or captivity, this sucker was huge.. wider than my pirogue, huge..His scales came off his shell as tall has the width of my hand. I don't think i'll be wading around any new logs especially...if they're floating.
BH958

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that one had enough meat for a case of chicken.. several slabs of pork.. and severeal pounds of beef. As for a pic.. I had every intentions of taken the camera with me... it's just it never made it any farther than the seat of my truck. Next time i'll be a lil'more prepared

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
what did you do with them after you caught em?
Let them go. First off it is illegal i believe to do anything with them and secondly a turtle that big is older than me and you put together. One of them i caught in Saline River catfishing and the other was actually in the ouachita mountains crossing one of the concrete culvert bridges. We helped him across the road very carefully. After an hour we returned and there was a pile of deer guts floating on the other side of the road where we put him and he had eaten all of them. Pretty impressive...them things can eat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah they have been protected for some time now but I don't think a lot of people know that. They were almost brought to extinction but have had a pretty good come back here in Ar. You'd have one bad day if you got caught with a dead one in your boat.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yeah they have been protected for some time now but I don't think a lot of people know that. They were almost brought to extinction but have had a pretty good come back here in Ar. You'd have one bad day if you got caught with a dead one in your boat.
Alligator snapping turtles (Macrochelys temminckii) are protected.

Common snapping turtles (Chelydra serpentina ) are delicious!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Im not sure which type was eating our tame ducks here at the house, but we refer to them as "logger heads" and I think everyone of those out to be killed. It killed 10 before we finally figured out what it was.

I was also recently impressed that Delta Waterfowl is doing a new predator study on them as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.