Snakes

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by greentop, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Se ark
    I was hit in back of my regular leather boot by a foot long cottonmouf. Wouldn’t have known if guy behind me hadnt seen it. I don’t know anybody that had ever been bit through any kind of boot and or pants.

2. greentop

greentop Active Member

I turkey hunt a ton in a bunch of different states but rarely worry about snakes. I start paying more attention towards end of season. Springtime it’s normally still pretty cool in mornings.

Now, they have been active for 3 or 4 months and are on the move looking for spot to spend winter.

mikebri likes this.

3. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

I walked up to a pond one time and made a cast. As I was reeling it in I felt a weird flapping sensation against my right leg. I looked down and realized I was standing on the head of a boss cottonmouth. The flapping was the snake thrashing around against my jeans trying to get away. It must have been asleep when I walked up and happened to put my foot directly on its head. No sure how I didn't get bit on that one. Probably the six feet I jumped up straight into the air.

fat hog, Tugman and mikebri like this.
  4. tillerb

tillerb Well-Known Member

I nearly stepped on a rattlesnake Sunday baiting bears... i had already walked up the trail and didn't see him till I was coming back down and he was about 3ft from me.... ended up being about 4ft and bigger around than a beer can. I havent had a rush like that in a while...

fat hog and mikebri like this.
  5. Hogbreath

Hogbreath Well-Known Member

Yeah, I may have to get me a sling shot and bonk 'em on they dome with a rock.

Allenn likes this.
  6. Deerinthawoods

Deerinthawoods Well-Known Member

I wear snake boots unless I’m in some really boggy stuff and need rubber knee boots. I also walk with trekking poles. They are great for knocking down spider webs, moving branches out of the way, and poking around for snakes.

mikebri likes this.
  7. blake101307

blake101307 Well-Known Member

20200329_120549.jpg
    That was just 1 fang that got him and swelling and nasty stuff was already much better in this pic when he was home from hospital.

jackie53, QuailRidge and mikebri like this.
  8. pharmdeez

pharmdeez Well-Known Member

Baum
    That looks like most of the non dry bites I’ve seen.
    What was he doing to get bit?

jackie53 likes this.
  9. txpedsrt

txpedsrt Well-Known Member

Cabot
    FWIW, we have had an uptick lately here at ACH. Copperheads are giving birth. Younger kids are getting bit by "worms" LOL!

jackie53 likes this.
  10. blake101307

Wasn't a dry bite trust me . That pic was by far not when it was even close to its worst . He was at his father's playing with his little brothers and says the snake started coming towards his little brother so he was trying to kill it with a stick. Stick broke snake struck and got him on the finger. Took 4 viles of anti venom.

11. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow! Do any permanent damage? Hope he's ok now.

jackie53 likes this.
  12. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    Dink. Wouldn't waste a bullet on that one....

jackie53 likes this.
  13. jackie53

jackie53 Well-Known Member

Copperhead....Big en...

14. blake101307

Bunch of huge pieces of skin came off almost like bad burn but healed fine. Small scar but not noticeable unless you look really close

mikebri and JR1 like this.
  15. pharmdeez

pharmdeez Well-Known Member

Baum
    Sorry I wasn’t clear. Most bites we see are dry bites, his however looks like a “wet” bite to me.

Allenn likes this.
  16. Eschaum

Eschaum Member

Opening morning of deer archery 2018..5 am..felt something under my foot as I was walking slowly through the woods. Lifted my foot and something smacked my boot. Turned on my light and saw a good sized copperhead slithering away. Luckily, the wife gave me an early birthday present the night before..Irish Setter snake boots :) I wear them all year when I’m in the woods and never worry about a thing

mikebri, ArkGirl and Tugman like this.
  17. Tugman

Tugman Well-Known Member

I wear rubber knee boots year round in the woods. I don’t worry about being bitten. But I still look for them in warmer weather. I’ve been walking through pit viper country for so long, I don’t consciously look for them anymore. I don’t even realize I’m doing it until I see one.

Eschaum likes this.
  18. lawson6565

lawson6565 Well-Known Member

22 rat shot is a great snake repellant. they don't like the smell of it

mikebri, Tugman and Allenn like this.
  19. cvan

cvan Well-Known Member

Stepped right in the middle of a good size cotton mouth wearing a pair of Nike running shoes. Got lucky, hit heel, stuck fangs in net looking stuff and fell off after my first jump. Felt like stepping on a water hose.

20. Tugman

Tugman Well-Known Member

Man! That IS lucky!!!