Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one accidently :whistle: slithered under my tire on the gravel road. I think its a copperhead but I am not a real big on snake identity. I like to look at them one way and thats dead:biggrin:. Phone Pics Sorry

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Bowman,

That is definately a copperhead. See how his head is almost triangular shaped, that is how to ID three of four poisonous snakes in U.S., copperhead, rattlesnake, and cottonmouth. The fouth is the corral snake (red and yellow bands touching), but I dont know anyone that has seen one around here.

There are water snakes that are similar to the copperhead but they lack the triangular head.

You did us all a favor:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Hillbilly,
As for the coral snake isnt it something like red and yellow kill a fellow.
I have never seen a rattle snake in the wild. I wish I could see on someday, from a safe distance that is.
Last year I saw a hooded snake on the same gravel road and was a neat looking snake. Dont remember the name of it but someone told me what it was.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Was that hooded snake you seen by any chance a spreadnetter ? They'll swell up and try to look like a cobra. They are not poison.
I like the way you spelled it, up here folks say "Spreadin' Adder" but I don't know if its really a member of the Adder family of snake or not (aren't real adders poisonous?). They'll sure give you a coronary when they do the cobra imitation!!:bolt:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
What a bunch of wusses!:biggrin:
Learn to identify the snakes in your area. Some of them are actually beneficial to you, eating mice and rats, not to mention other snakes. I have taught myself to know almost immediately what species of snake I see.
Most snakes are harmless to you and the few that are dangerous are very easy to ID if you simply look before you start panicking.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
A few years ago I found a bullnose snake and played with it for a while. It puffed up and I took a stick and poked it but not hard enough to hurt it. Then it would play dead. It would lay on it's back and I would take the stick and turn the snake back onto it's belly. It would roll back onto it's back again. I did this a number of times and finally it vomited onto itself. I had heard that is it's last resort to defend itself.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.