Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first year hunting in arkansas at cache river nwa. I've heard that cotton mouths and rattlers are bad around here. I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent the snakes from penetrating my boots, I wear dry shod boots that cover all the way up to my calves with some thick jeans underneath, is this enough or can I do more from getting bit?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
My first year hunting in arkansas at cache river nwa. I've heard that cotton mouths and rattlers are bad around here. I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent the snakes from penetrating my boots, I wear dry shod boots that cover all the way up to my calves with some thick jeans underneath, is this enough or can I do more from getting bit?
I always buy actual snake boots. I have had boots like you are referencing, and they are not nearly as tough as snake boots. Whether or not you need the protection is debatable. I know people that hunt all the time and have never owned snake boots, but for me, I can't take my eyes off the ground if I don't wear them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m not going in the woods without good snake boots until it gets pretty cold but I have used in the past some snake chaps that come up to my knees they wasn’t as expensive as boots at the time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at some snake gaiters last night that are made out of Kevlar, watched a video on a rattlesnake striking at then which their fangs did not penetrate the gaiters.

·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
Snake boots are a must for me until weather gets chilly. For those that wear just gaiters...do your boots provide enough protection for the foot/area the gaiters do not cover?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two sets of boots that I normally wear. One pair being dry shods that are made from rubber that cover up above my calf the other being a pair of leather ariats. I also wear socks and thick jeans behind my boots as well, would snake boots just be a worthwhile investment rather than the gaiters? They do not seem to be very breathable

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Snake boots are a must for me until weather gets chilly. For those that wear just gaiters...do your boots provide enough protection for the foot/area the gaiters do not cover?
Mine don’t. If it’s warm, I’m probably wearing Lacrosse Granges and they’re just thin rubber. But I have to have something to fit a 4E foot that I can wade sloughs in, so I go with the gaiters over my boots.
My dog got bit by a rattler one late December day when it was 45° so I just pretty much expect to find a snake every day.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Mine don’t. If it’s warm, I’m probably wearing Lacrosse Granges and they’re just thin rubber. But I have to have something to fit a 4E foot that I can wade sloughs in, so I go with the gaiters over my boots.
My dog got bit by a rattler one late December day when it was 45° so I just pretty much expect to find a snake every day.
I killed a ground rattler several years ago on the Christmas hunt. He was moving at the speed of snot but he was out and about.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Just learn to watch where you step
And where you put your hands.
The snakes won’t bite you unless step down on them or put your hand in his face.
Or if your playing/ catching one.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm 60 years old have never worn any I squirrel hunt all year with my dog and coonhunted a lot in my younger years just lucky but I tried one pair on one time my calves was to thick to zip them up so have always done without but go get you pair you never know when you come across a snake in Arkansas

·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
I've not run across a venomous snake while hunting...But we do a lot of trail work prepping for the competitions we hold and I have seen several copperheads and pygmy rattlers up at Pine Grove working trail. And riding competitions in West Texas and Oklahoma I've run across rattlers...literally. I think it happens more with the horses as we are usually trotting or cantering along and the vibration of the pounding hooves gets the snake upset before we get there.

·
Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2
5,578 Posts
I've grown up hunting and fishing on the WRR, Felsenthal, BM, and some on the Cache. I've never worn a snake boot or gaiter in my life. I've never been bitten. Maybe I'm just born lucky. I hope my luck holds out.
Same here. I wear shorts and boat shoes to the woods in the summer, even in places I probably shouldn’t. Can’t be scared. Scared people are weak.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts