Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any topics this year about burning leaves and letting your hunting clothes soak up the smoke....do u guys really do that or is that just an inside joke...I was thinking about trying that trick.

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
3,133 Posts
I smoke mine. Not joking either. I light a couple oak logs, and let them burn to coals. I then put my portable canopy over it, and hang my clothes on the canopy support rods. I smoke everything I wear, my stand, and my bow.

Maybe I'm lucky, but for the first time, I was within range of three nice bucks last year. The first was a 150 class, second a 150 class, and third a 125 class. I hunt public ground also. Where I saw the 125 class buck, I had 8 smaller bucks come within 15 yards that evening, and every one came down same path I walked to the stand on.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Got a guy on out lease that swears by it. He wont go to the stand or blind without smoking up as he calls it. He has been covered up with does since opening morning hasnt been busted one time. Hunts out of ground blind, and his furthest shot might be 20 yrds. He killed a bobcat last weekend that was five yards from him. Cat laid down he had to wait for it to stand up again so he could shoot. Ive been kicking around the idea myself to see if it will change my luck.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
There's no threads on it cause it's just common knowledge bud. I'm fixin to go rake a pile, light it, then what I do is get my hunting clothes wet and stick them on a stick over the smoke. The wetness really soaks up the leaf smell and then while then put them into a plastic tote with a doe urine wafer in it.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
There's no threads on it cause it's just common knowledge bud. I'm fixin to go rake a pile, light it, then what I do is get my hunting clothes wet and stick them on a stick over the smoke. The wetness really soaks up the leaf smell and then while then put them into a plastic tote with a doe urine wafer in it.
So what you're saying is that you smell pretty bad when you go hunting:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Assuming this isn't a grand joke being played totally straight faced (kind of like the "the stormtrooper didn't bang his head" gag ("he banged his helmet")), I could see this working in more agri and populous areas. Basically, if you can't be scent free, smell like something they're used to. I actually caught a whiff of smoke from somewhere when I was in Wedington yesterday. In more remote areas where brush and campfires aren't common I would imagine it'd be a red flag to deer.

I read in F&S about an elk hunter that first stops, drops, and rolls in the local leaf/pine/juniper litter from where he's hunting.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
So what you're saying is that you smell pretty bad when you go hunting:)
I would say " smell bad is a relative term". Do I smell bad to humans or too game? What am I trying to attract humans or game? I have never had a deer signal that he had smelled me after I started doing this and the folks at Williams Jct step aside out of respect when I come in the store. They know a killa when they see one.:cool:

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I would say " smell bad is a relative term". Do I smell bad to humans or too game? What am I trying to attract humans or game? I have never had a deer signal that he had smelled me after I started doing this and the folks at Williams Jct step aside out of respect when I come in the store. They know a killa when they see one.:cool:
Ha! Them regulars in Williams Junction standing in line for their bologna sammiches have a permanent smoke smell. They laugh at you and call you yuppie because you have all your teeth!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.