Small food plot in timber

Discussion in 'Habitat Management' started by nontypical, Mar 18, 2017.

1. nontypical

nontypical Well-Known Member

Any of you guys got any pictures of small plots in timber ? I'd like to plant some but not sure how much sun I will get

2. Buckbob

Buckbob Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1489891020.180781.jpg This is a Plot I had in clover the past couple of years. It did great until a drought hit last summer. I did another one in the woods that was only 15 yards x 20 yards and the deer were in that clover every day during the spring and summer. I just got the ground ready and planted my biggest one yet in a hardwood bottom. ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1489891452.093566.jpg My biggest concerns were soil pH (since the leaves make the soil more acidic) and seed to soil contact. I used a box blade on the tractor to get the leaves and brush out of the way and then spread a bunch of lime before I disked the ground. Right now there are no leaves, so the clover should get plenty of sun while it gets established. From what I've seen, clover seems to do alright in some shade.

3. nontypical

nontypical Well-Known Member

That pic looks a lot like the area I have I wasn't sure if there was enough sun to grow anything. Looks good

4. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Well-Known Member

Food plot

Here are some photos of the food plots that I have. All of them are small but have been very effective with attracting deer. Sorry they are sideways for some reason my computer will not let me rotate them. IMG_1293.jpg IMG_2690.jpg IMG_2739.jpg IMG_3465.jpg IMG_3466.jpg

5. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

I don't have a pic, but I have one that is kind of pac man shaped, or 1/4 taken out of a circle. I have a ladder stand on the point of trees that comes out in to the center and it is 25-30 yards to the woods all the way around it from that point. Neat little set up.

6. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1490955103.303783.jpg
    This was my attempt at installing an in woods plot

Bucks Friend and hogsbreath like this.
  7. hogsbreath

hogsbreath Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ I'm glad I'm not the only one.

8. Buckbob

Buckbob Well-Known Member

My plot I planted in March is doing very well! It's all white clover and the deer eat there every day. The plot is about 20 yards by 75 yards. ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1494986372.439784.jpg

hawgpharm and MSWING12 like this.
  9. Lt Gibson

Lt Gibson Well-Known Member

Can you cut anything?