Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 870 and a rifled barrel, had the barrel for several years. My folks have a place in zone 4, do some deer drives etc. My new husband ordered a simmons 1.5 or 2.5-5x32 illum. red. scope with see thru mount (B-square) and 5 boxes of hornady sst slugs. I've used these slugs before. How far would you zero the scope? I want everyone's opinions that slug hunt on here. I will have about a 4 acre or so oat plot about 100-200 yards from my stand, it's in the edge of some woods w/ creek behind it and a crp buffer infront of the stand. :up:

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
If your shots are to be close to 100+ yards, I'd zero it at 100 yards....otherwise, try zeroing it about 1 inch high at 50 yards and then shoot a 100 yard target...with the 1 high/50yard zero, you should be pretty close at 100 yards............

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I shoot lightfield commander slugs through my 870. On the back of their box, they have a chart on zeroing it for certain yardage. I dont know if the Hornady does or not though. Sorry not much help

·
Registered
703 Posts
During the Fort Chaffee hunt, I use a slug gun. Its a mossberg 835. I shot the SST's also and love them. I killed my best buck with them. As far as zeroing your gun, I would zero it at your farthest distance. Then shoot at closer distances to get used to shooting it closer. Thats how I do it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Been a slug hunter for a long time. I, too, do some hunting in zone 4. Sight in at 2 inches high at 50 yards. This will put you in the kill zone out to 150 yards. Good luck and kill a big one they are there.:thumb:

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
I use an 870 with a fully rifled barrel. Remington Copper Solids work pretty well for me. I can shoot a 3 shot group about the size of my fist with them. I think I'm zeroed maybe an inch high at 100 yds. I usually start with something like that, then I'll shoot at 50 to see how high I am.
If you're going to stretch it out to 200 yds with a slug gun, you'd really better put some range time in and know your trajectory. There'll be a big difference between how much it falls from 100-150 and how much it falls from 150-200.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
xp3

I shoot winchester XP3 with the ballistic tip,sighted at 1 & 1/2" high at 50 yds.....supposed to have knock down power out to 200yds...ain't got a place here to practice at that range but been itching to give it a whirl.....:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.