Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use these broadheads. Thought about buying a few and trying them out. I have heard they shoot good and do alot of damage. Does anyone shoot these and if so whats your opinion? Im going to go with the standard 100 gr.-1" cut

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FB, looks like they do a good job. Do the blades stay together pretty good after punching through bone and muscle? I here they are supposed to fly like a field point, any truth to that?

·
Administrator
41,125 Posts
Here's a picture of the opposite shoulder on the same deer. It was quartering away and I hit it just a hair forward of where I meant to but it definitely did the job.

The head went through the shoulder and held up great. The only reason I took so many pictures is because this is the first deer that I shot with em and I was amazed at the hole it left.

Ive shot 4 deer and 1 hog with em so far and I cant say enough good things about em. Ive had pass thrus every time and along with big holes and short bloodtrails, thats what I want. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
They fly great and they are tough. I know someone that had a small hickory tree jump between them and a deer (quit laughing these hill trees are sneaky) and the broadhead buried up to the end of the blades. Well the arrow was toast and there was no pulling out the broadhead so I took a saw and cut out the part where the broadhead was and then split that piece and got the broadhead out. It shot strait as a new one.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Best fixed blade BH I've used. I've killed 3 deer and 3 hogs. Best blood trails I've ever had. All 6 critters went down with in 90 yards.

The new blades Gary started using last year are scary sharp.'

hd

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,314 Posts
They really do fly great......I have had some penetration problems with them, mainly in Illinois hunting 225# + deer. You can expect this with a 4 blade broadhead with a steep blade angle just make sure you have good KE to shoot them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am shooting them and have had real good luck with them. I have had no penetration problems shooting hogs. Good blood trails and big holes like everyone else has said. The first set I bought were not very sharp so I used them for practice. Got 2 more sets and they were some sharper and I have used them on hogs. I have scrapped some arrows but am still shooting the BH's. They stay intact and hold up.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I love Slick Tricks! I killed my first bow kill with them. It was a small fork horn mule deer in MT. I shot him laying down, and he got up, to fall over. I let him lay 45 minutes, and thought he was dead. I walked up to the deer, and grabbed his antlers, and he decided he wasn't quite dead yet. I jumped back, and pulled my bow back (I already had an arrow knocked), and with the deer staring at me about 3 feet in front of me, I let my arrow go. It hit the deer low, and went directly down his stomach. Let's just say, I had minimum gutting to do, as about 75% of them were already hanging out at that point. I really wish I would have had my camera on me. I shot another deer in 2006, but got on his trail too soon, and I was a little far back. I trailed him for over two miles, but never found him. I don't blame the arrow heads, as I got a complete pass through, and even found a small pile of guts at one point. I honestly think someone else got the deer before I did.

·
Premium Member
17,684 Posts
Won't use anything else! Exceptional flight and extremely good blood trails.

This was the entry wound on a buck. Head went through both shoulder blades and arrow broke off in buck.

Exit wound on last year's doe.

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
I'm planning to try them this year. My cousin has been shooting them for a year or two with great results.
The local archery shop owner drug his feet for a while before becoming a slick trick dealer last year but he's glad he did since they've become one of his best sellers.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
How would you guys recommend on using them on a ELK? Will they get good penetration? I am using a 428gr total arrow/head weight out of a 70lb bow.
I've never shot Slick Tricks, and I'm no expert on their penetration, but I'd have to disagree with Buzzbait. If I was going to shoot an elk with an arrow, I would opt for a cut-to-tip broadhead over a chisel point.
It sounds like you already have your arrow weight figured out, but I'd opt for 100 over 125 grain. Extra arrow weight = more kinetic energy = more penetration.
These ax-wound entry and exit holes on deer sized game arent going to do you any good on big game if it doesnt penetrate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.