Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When would be a good time to get out and try stocking up on jacks? The weather has been crazy lately and I'm not sure what the water temp is since I fish from shore.

Im fishing the ark river.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
I was wandering the same thing. I have never "tried" catching em for bait just lucked into it. I was wanting to target skipjack this year instead of just using bream.
I'm gonna get the boat out this week or coming weekend and give it a shot tho. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Im gonna try and get out Wednesday. The lows are suppose to get below freezing again so I dont know how well the fishing will be. I can't wait until the weather is stable for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was on the river by Conway Saturday and the main river was 47-48 degrees. Some of the backwaters had water in the mid-50's, but that should drop this week some. I'm not sure about skipjack because I've only fished for them in the summer.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figures it was still cold. I was optimistic that fishing was gonna kick up early this year, but that all changed with this weeks forecast. Dang cold. Once the lows are out of the 30s for a bit I plan on getting out whenever I can and fry up and grill as many fish as possible.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try and see if I can get em to bite next time I'm out. I plan on using 2 or 3 small crappie jigs tipped with worms. Maybe I'll get some skips or maybe some crappie. Either or I'll be happy

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
You can catch all ya want below the hydro plant fishin jigs. Especially if you fish them too fast and don't let em get down where the whites are. Or you can buy em at bait shops like hatcht jacks either whole or cut.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to get some fresh instead of frozen, plus I'd like to rig up a live one and try to nab a big cat or striper.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I may have to try the river this weekend below David terry on the LR side since the wife has to work all weekend. I've heard skipjack are fun to catch so I may try it out

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The which I have and is basically just trying three small jigs on your line each 6-8" from each other.

Tie on the first with a long tag end of line, for the second leaving more line, then give the third on he bottom.

Its like a vertical A Rig. And if I said crappie rig, I meant jigs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For fun (not bait), I've caught them below spillways on a 5wt flyrod and a white streamer fly. They fight like crazy on that light tackle. And boy, they can jump!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I usually do good mid March at the hydro at Pendelton ( sp? ) using light tackle and crappie jigs. Can fill up a $* quart cooler. Last year i didn't go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts