Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come upon a Ruger single six that is priced right. It is a new model,
22/22 mag., stainless, 6.5" barrel. I took it home yesterday and was less than impressed with accuracy. I would say you could cover a 3 x 5 index
card at 18 yards with both the 22 and magnum. Keep in mind that I am no
handgun king. This one and one more would be total of all that I have ever shot.

My reason for wanting this gun is for the most part a trail gun to carry on pre-season scouting trips and general trips in and out of the woods.
You never know when you might run into a rabid critter or a snake:hide:

What is normal accuracy for a handgun or in this case the single six convertable?
I will give the guy an answer by today at lunch so responses would be
appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
There's a few variables here we need to clear up...

If you were just standing shooting with both hands, keeping all the shots on a 3 X 5 card at 18 yards isn't all that bad, especially if, like you say, you're not a "handgun King." In fact, I'd be pretty proud of myself. This stuff takes practice, practice, practice.

If you were shooting with a good rest, with open sights, at 18 yards, a 3 X 5" group still isn't all that bad, first time out! Now if was scoped and that's the best you could do, i might be worried. It does take a bit of parctice to tighten those groups up!

Some of those little rugers are picky about ammo, try several brands/bullet weights/velocities before condemming the accuracy. Remember the line about practice, practice, paractice....

How is the trigger on it? Trigger quality has a profound impact on handgun shooting. If it's crunchy or creepy a qualified gunsmith can fix that without too much expense or trouble.

How clean was the bore when you first tried it out? Sometimes a good scrub does wonders. Having said that, I almost NEVER clean my daughters Ruger Bearcat, and it put's 'em all in one ragged hole at 10 yards with a good rest and good light for dad to shoot with...

Look at the muzzle end of the barrel, and make sure it's not banged up. Clean muzzle crowns are important for accuracy.

It really doesn't sound all that bad! If you have the chance to try it some more, bear all of the above in mind. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trigger is actually pretty good. It might be a little creepy. I shot the gun using a decent rest. It showed signs of being really accurate but at times it showed signs of possible flinging. All probably the shooter.
After shooting a few rounds I did give it a thorough cleaning and found that
the magnums seemed to improve and the 22 seemed a little less accurate.
The guy is only wanting $250 for the gun. It should be easy to get my money back.

Biggest problem is that I hate spending money. I think I am trying to justify to myself needing it.:banghead:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Since it was 22/22mag, I am assuming that it had both cylinders. If you are shoting both ammos from same cylinder, that would be your problem. Also, if you will take off the side plates from the grip and unlatch one of the springs, this will cut you trigger pull weight in half. And a quick way to slightly smooth the sear is to cock the hammer and put some pressure on the back of the hammer and then pull the trigger on an empty chamber. This will clean up the sear a little and not cost anything to do it. Just dont over do it, about 50 time should be ok. If it is really bad, a gunsmith can slick up the insides of this gun for about $100

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
As a relative newcomer to pistol shooting (I now own 3, bought my first one about 4 yrs ago), I would think you're not doing too bad.
.22 ammo can be very fussy, especially the cheap stuff. If I had only shot a pistol a few times and shot that group, I'd be pretty happy.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Since it was 22/22mag, I am assuming that it had both cylinders. If you are shoting both ammos from same cylinder, that would be your problem.
G & G is right! Shooting .22LR out of the .22 mag cylinder would totally kill the accuracy. It ain't technically safe either, though the risk is pretty low. It's just not recommended. It's also important to remember the cylinders are fitted to the gun at the factory, the cylinder timing can suffer (along with saftey and accuracy) if you use cylinders that came with a different pistol.

I've always had good luck using aftermarket spring kits to help action smoothness and trigger pull, Wolfe is one brand, but as I haven't looked in a while, there are bound to be others now. The ONLY time I use WD-40 on a gun is to blow crap and crud out of the innards of the action, followed of course with real oil!

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
As a relative newcomer to pistol shooting (I now own 3, bought my first one about 4 yrs ago), I would think you're not doing too bad.
.22 ammo can be very fussy, especially the cheap stuff. If I had only shot a pistol a few times and shot that group, I'd be pretty happy.
Very true. Even if you've been shooting pistols for YEARS, if you don't practice, your groups tend to swell up on you. Due to the tremendous variety of .22 ammo out there, it could take a while to find the ones that work best for your pistol.

Dang, all this pistol talk has me wanting to go shoot something! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I had both cylinders and used the right cylinder with the right ammo. I also checked and both cylinders have the matching s/n# that go with the gun. I have read a lot of forums about accuracy of this gun this am. There is as many opinions about accuracy of this gun as there is opinions on broadheads. 2" groups at 25 yards seem to be pretty normal if the shooter can do his part.
I only keep the Remington gold Hollow points at the house as that is what my
Ruger 96/22 prefer. The guy gave me some 22 mag cci ammo so that is the only comparison that I had to go by as well.

Again, thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I had a brand new single-six about ten years ago. I shot it a lot for about two years and just could not learn to like the muzzle flip of this pistol. Sold I sold and bought a S&W Mdl. 17 with Hogue grips. I still have the S&W and it is smooth with no muzzle flip. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
It may just be me but I can shoot any semi auto better than a DA and a double action better than a single action. It seems that the lock time is so much longer for a single action revolver. May just be me. Buy the pistol. You'll be glad you did. I've bought several spring kits from Wilsons Combat for Ruger single actions. They help the trigger and are an easy install.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am officially the new owner of A Ruger, Single Six, pistol. Got it home last night and cleaned it real good. Gonna buy some ammo this weekend and do a
little more playing this weekend.

I will try to have pics Monday.

Thanks for all of the input:thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I really think you'll like it! The more I thought about it, if I could take a pistol strange to me and put all six in a 3 X 5 card at 18 yards right off the bat, I'd be really happy with that result. You may be a "pistol king" and just not know it! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Flint, you need to tru a Ruger Mark III. My Mark II is stainless with a 5 1/2" bull barrell and will absolutely drive tacks.
I've got two or three Mark I's and several Mark II's, Most of them I've never shot before! A crime against all that is holy, I know.

My "flinch therapy" pistol is a ratty-looking Mk I 6" skinny barrel with fixed sights. It's a good thing they're fixed, because they're right on the money! The wife shoots it well enough to scare me sometimes.

But at 20 or so yards free-standing with no rest, putting a full magazine through a 3 X 5 card would take my undivided attention. I'm gonna try that this weekend!

·
Administrator
90,660 Posts
But at 20 or so yards free-standing with no rest, putting a full magazine through a 3 X 5 card would take my undivided attention. I'm gonna try that this weekend!
Let's do it and post a pic. It'll be Monday or Tuesday before I can do it. He said 18 yards, what distance you want to try it at?? I have a MKII with iron sights I'll shoot.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
I had one of the old ssingle sixes...back in the 70's and wish I had not gotten rid of it...util I got the MK II bull Barrel with a scope...talk about a tack driver!!!!!!!!

With any handgun...Practice is the key...practice practice practice........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.