Simple caping instructions

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by taxidermydude, Oct 5, 2007.

1. taxidermydude

taxidermydude Well-Known Member

Everyone on here has probably read how many problems i have with customers bringing in short capes, so thought i would post some easy instructions. Give your taxidermist plenty of cape to work with. Also, ideally you want to keep your cape dry and get it cooled down as soon as possible. Good luck this season!

Caping for a Shoulder Mount
    With a sharp knife, slit the hide circling the body behind the shoulder at approximately the midway point of the rib cage behind the front legs. Slit the skin around the legs just above the knees. An additional slit will be needed from the back of the leg and joining the body cut behind the legs.

Peel the skin forward up to the ears and jaw exposing the head/neck junction. Cut into the neck approximately six inches down from this junction. Circle the neck, cutting down to the spinal column. After this cut is complete, grasp the antler bases, and twist the head off the neck. This should allow the hide to be rolled up and put in a freezer until transported to the taxidermist.
    These cuts should allow ample hide for the taxidermist to work with in mounting. Remember, the taxidermist can cut off excess hide, but he can't add what he doesn't have.
    Note:
    When field dressing a trophy to be mounted, don't cut into the brisket (chest) or neck area.
    Avoid dragging the deer out of the woods with a rope. Place it on a sled, a rickshaw, or a four-wheeler. The rope, rocks, or a broken branch from a deadfall can easily damage the fur or puncture the hide. If you do need to drag it our with a rope, attach the rope to the base of the antlers and drag your trophy carefully.

Small Mammals
    Animals, coyote sized or smaller, should not be skinned unless by a professional. Don't gut the animal. Small mammals, especially carnivores, will spoil quickly because of their thin hide and bacteria. If you can't take the small game animal immediately to a taxidermist, as soon as the carcass cools completely, put it in a plastic bag and freeze it. With the epidemic of rabies evident in many areas of the country, take every safety measure necessary when handling your game.
    Birds
    Do not gut the bird. Rinse any blood from the feathers with water. Take the bird immediately to your taxidermist or freeze it. Put the bird into a plastic bag for freezing, being careful not to damage the feathers, including the tail. If the bird's tail feathers do not fit in the bag, do not bend them. Let the tail stick out of the bag and tie the bag loosely.

2. HiRanger

HiRanger New Member

Great info thanks..

3. Rackmaster

Rackmaster Well-Known Member

How about a bear?

Could you post instructions for bear? Just incase I get lucky this year.

Thanks for the tips on the deer.

4. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    This is good info. I'll sticky it for the season!

5. taxidermydude

Thanks Mr. Chitlin! I was thinking about warning yall ahead of time that this is something i will probably pull to the top each year i am here. Hopefully this will save some of yall money and me time in the long run. I will check on the bear instructions for ya rackmaster. TD

6. taxidermydude