Side jobs

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by lilturkeyhunter, May 15, 2018 at 7:24 PM.

1. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    Anyone know of anything hiring for the summer? I have applied at the Corps of Engineers, but I was too late. I didn't think of it soon enough or I would have had a job there. Someone suggested a process server, but I will be honest, I am a little scared of that route.

I am an excellent carpenter's helper and I can run my mouth and tell stories like no other. I'm also excellent with math. Ha!

I need to find something. Any suggestions?

I thought VM had found a side hustle that would carry us past this bump, but it hasn't panned out, and we're in serious need of extra.

I mow the cemetery in front of my house, so I'm not scared of hardwork.

2. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    Might be too far a commute for you, but the state park at Mammoth Spring was (is?) looking for summer help.

lilturkeyhunter likes this.

3. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

4. Mo/Ark

Mo/Ark Well-Known Member

I signed up to teach on tutor.com one year. I had to withdraw my application before I was approved due to a deployment, but as I recall they paid decent depending on how many students you were helping. Might be up your alley...

5. woodsman84

woodsman84 Well-Known Member

I know some schools hire people to paint during the summers the ones I've heard of are10-12 dollars an hour. 40 HR weeks. 4x 10hr days. Hope you find something

6. lilturkeyhunter

Iuka
    Mammoth Spring would be a terrible commute @Saltydog

I will try WM @curdog1

I've looked at a few tutoring jobs, but all I could find were English related, and I am not qualified for that. Ha!

I've taught kids college in the past, and I have emailed the lady I worked for last year so I could get in on that again, but that's a ways away. Kind of need it sooner, but I will do that when it comes around.

Thanks everyone.

7. Cperry

Cperry Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner

Saline
    Go work for a lonely widow woman that’s hell bent to make it on her own. With wheat fields as far as you can see

artey72 and jackiereed like this.
  8. lilturkeyhunter

Iuka
    Think I'll pass...... Thanks.

9. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    Gimme an address... :D

rudedog, Cperry, R6mm and 4 others like this.
  10. lilturkeyhunter

Iuka
    I kinda figured that might be the kind of job a fella would want....:p

Cperry likes this.
  11. Both needing something from each other.....not knowing yet what that might be.

Cperry likes this.
  12. Hivernan

Hivernan Well-Known Member

Who couldn’t use a little “sweat, moonlight and Lace...”

Cperry likes this.
  13. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

'Til she came to me one evening
    Hot cup of coffee and a smile
    In a dress that I was certain
    She hadn't worn in quite a while

Cperry likes this.
  14. Cperry

Cperry Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner

Saline
    Haha knew some of y’all would catch that

15. Luv2hunt

Luv2hunt Well-Known Member

Walk through Mountain Home Lowe’s and Home Depot and you’ll see several teachers working there during the summer.
    State parks also hire them for seasonal positions.
    Best of luck to you, hope you find something.

brushcreek likes this.
  16. lilturkeyhunter

Iuka
    Oh, I got it too.

Cperry likes this.
  17. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Nursing homes are always looking for help.

18. claytonsdad

claytonsdad Well-Known Member

I don't know if it would work for summer work only, but you can do well working on the side cleaning houses. Put a notice up on the bulletin boards at hospitals and any other place that has busy professional people. You'll likely be surprised at the response, especially when wood gets out that you're trustworthy and do a good job.

19. I was going to suggest cleaning houses. I'll admit, I've done it....a couple times. It's HARD work (well just tedious-and I don't do well with that sorta stuff), but pay is usually excellent and if you're good, the work will find you. Had an old girlfriend who cleaned houses and I got in on it. We split $3800 on ONE house cleaning. Granted it was an almost 10,000 square foot house, but you get the idea.

Cemetery grounds care is another one I've done quite a bit of. Made my house payments for a while just on mowing/trimming a single cemetery. Had to stop though....way too much work for one person. It was only 8 acres/~1400 stones to trim around. Plus the fences, ditches, and the worst part was picking up and disposing of the trash (old flowers, etc). I'd fill the truck bed with trash bags once every 2 weeks. Local landfill was ok with it for a while but caught on and started charging me by the load, so I had to resort to burning and burying. I hated doing that.

Grave digging is a profession to get into as well. It's not a job that gets you any thanks but there's good money in it, but an investment has to be made into the tractor, truck, trailers, etc. Looked seriously into that as well. $500+ per grave dug. Figured it up, could do about 25 a week really easy with plenty of time to spare. Bad part is, you're on call all the time.

Machine shops are usually needing folks...look into that as well, as an apprentice. How about the railroad? Anything there? Any lawn care places needing help?

Rockcreek likes this.
  20. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mrs Weld cleans a few houses to help bring in some income. It can be good money if you get several to clean during the week. It is one of those jobs where you make as much as you are willing to work. Like stated above, once people see you are trustworthy, the work will come to you.

Luv2hunt and curdog1 like this.