Sick australian shepherd

Discussion in 'Ask the Vet' started by BigCountry11, Dec 20, 2010.

1. BigCountry11

BigCountry11 Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I have a miniature Australian shepherd. A couple of days ago he was sick for maybe 24 hours with diarrhea, then he seemed just fine for 2 days. Tonight he has been running around, he even loaded up in the truck a couple times. Then all of a sudden as my wife and I got ready for bed he came in with a limp and seems lethargic. This is very out of character for him. When I call his name it seems to take all he has to lift his head and he refuses to try and move. Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance

2. michale34

michale34 Well-Known Member

i had a dog that did similar had him checked for parvo and that what it was.it took me a week of nursing him to get him back

3. BigCountry11

BigCountry11 Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I took him to the vet this morning after a long night of sitting with him watching his vitals. The vet says he more than likely has gotten something from a tick bite. By daylight this morning his back legs were swollen and tender to touch, he couldn't even stand on his own. Vet said it has the same symptoms as arthritus(sp?) He gave me a boat load of meds that I started him on. He is already doing better. He stood up and started walkin on his own, so hopefully we are on the road to recovery. I tell ya, I have owned ALOT of dogs in my life but I don't know that I have ever been this attached to one!!

4. michale34

michale34 Well-Known Member

im glad to hear your dogs better I know what you mean about attached after nursing my wifes little dog back from death im more attached than ever. he like a kid to me now