Show pig labored breathing

Discussion in 'Ask the Vet' started by lilturkeyhunter, Jul 11, 2017.

1. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    My boys got three show pigs on the last day of May. We noticed one of them coughed, but we put it off to stress, new home, first truck ride, first time on dirt, stuff.

Two weeks ago, I walked outside and noticed one had his tongue out, and his tongue was blue, and his breathing was thumping. I called the vet (it was Saturday and she called me back 5 or 6 times.). Some LA300 was given for three days per vet to the sick guy. We also gave one shot to each of the healthy pigs. Sick pig seemed to recover. He was eating, playing, growing.

This evening at supper time, he came to greet us, but he was thumping and promptly laid down. He's not as sick as he was last time, but I don't want to be that near death again. We administered another shot of LA300, and the pig seemed to get worse. He was panting worse and quit eating for a few minutes.

He did eat, and he is drinking, but I don't think he's well.

Any ideas?

One of his litter mates that a different family got had pneumonia about two weeks after we picked the pigs up.

Is there anything other than LA300 that we could give?

Pigs were wormed about three weeks ago.

2. Lt Gibson

Lt Gibson Well-Known Member

if LA300 doesn't work you can holler at LT and I will fix the problem with your pig....

I'm just kidding, couldn't pass it up.

3. lilturkeyhunter

Iuka
    We ended up giving him a shot of Draxxin from the vet. That helped, for a while. Then we g gave another shot of it, and he seems to be on the mend. THANK GOODNESS!

John Stiles, brushcreek and bbrenton like this.
  4. bbrenton

bbrenton Well-Known Member

Hope it all works out for them. Doing that in ag back in the day was a blast for me. Had a York in 78 that won EVERY major and mid size show in Texas in his class. Good times.

5. lilturkeyhunter

Iuka
    My boys love showing. We don't have high dollar pigs, but they love doing it anyway.

I prefer York and York crosses, but we have two Hamp crosses and a York cross this year. The neighbor's girl has the York in our pen.

John Stiles and bbrenton like this.