Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Moderator<br>Help Forum<br>
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I admit that over 100 arrows a day for the first four days MAY have been just a bit extreme. Now I have a hard time even pulling back the bow due to really bad pain in my left shoulder (I shoot right handed). I took a couple days off with no shooting at all to let it heal a bit but it seems worse today than before.

I just started a cycle of prednisone staggered with ibuprofen. Any other suggestions to get it back in shape a bit faster?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
No physician here, but mainly pain relievers are only to lessen the pain, and the acutal healing is time. Your muscles are sore, heat can sooth the pain as good as anything. Ice packs will help reduce swelling and help to loosen the muscles and tendons, the ibuprofen will reduce inflamation. I prefer frozen peas, they form fit to any area of the body. I don't like to eat them much anyway, so I mark them as ice pack so no one else grabs them for cooking. A word of caution though, you should never ice any area of the body for more than 15 minutes, any longer and frost bite will start to occur. My advice on the bow shooting. Well, I think you already figured it out. Especially with new shooters limit your shooting from 12 to 20 shots and gradually increase your shooting sessions, but then you know that now. Too long of a shooting session too early, will often lead to improper shooting habits and form. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
No physician here, but mainly pain relievers are only to lessen the pain, and the acutal healing is time. Your muscles are sore, heat can sooth the pain as good as anything. Ice packs will help reduce swelling and help to loosen the muscles and tendons, the ibuprofen will reduce inflamation. I prefer frozen peas, they form fit to any area of the body. I don't like to eat them much anyway, so I mark them as ice pack so no one else grabs them for cooking. A word of caution though, you should never ice any area of the body for more than 15 minutes, any longer and frost bite will start to occur. My advice on the bow shooting. Well, I think you already figured it out. Especially with new shooters limit your shooting from 12 to 20 shots and gradually increase your shooting sessions, but then you know that now. Too long of a shooting session too early, will often lead to improper shooting habits and form. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
x2 :up: just no sure about the peas though :fit:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
20 shots with good form are way better than 100 shots with the last 70 or so just being slung at the target. Stick to fewer shots and you will be surprised at how quick you will get better. Only time as stated before will better your shoulder. I just got back in from shooting and I only shot about 35 arrows and I have been shooting for 20 yrs. Good luck. :up:

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
Lots of good advice so far. I used to be bad about shooting way too much. It's just not worth it. You wear yourself and your equipment out, and you start playing mind games with yourself. You completely kill your confidence. For me, 10-12 arrows per day is plenty. Don't get me wrong, you have to practice, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I was taking entirely too many shots but I was just having so much dang fun!

If I had known I would enjoy shooting a bow this much I would have bought into it all LONG ago. I will slow down though. I am really concerned about re-injuring my shoulder. I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu so my joints/connectives have all been tweaked/stretched/torn/popped/pulled more times than I care to count. I hurt my left shoulder in a tournament about a year and a half ago. Took a loooooong time to heal. I'm gonna swing by the doctor tomorrow morning and have him check it out just to be safe.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i've found that pulling arrows out of target even with arrow remover is still harder on arm/ shoulder muscles than drawing a bow.what you may have done is strained your rotator cuff tendons. it happened to me, rest is only cure, keep doing it and you may damage it so badly that surgery is required=''REST''---YOU HAVE 23 DAYS:thumb:

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really hoping the doctor doesn't say anything about my rotator cuff. I had a slight tear in it about 2 years ago. That is the main reason i'm going to the doctor. If it weren't for that i'd just rest it.

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got back from the doctor a little while ago. He said it was most likely a strained biceps tendon. Gave me a stronger steroid pack to try. Luckily he is a pretty active shooter as well. He gave me a few tips on my form that he says will help take a bit of pressure off the shoulder. He said I should be able to keep shooting a little bit as long as I don't overdo it.

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Easy on the Prednisone. Steroids will turn your "stones" into "pebbles". :fit:
LOL

Even long term use of Prednisone at prescribed doses is very unlikely to "shrink the boys." This new stuff he prescribed though, I'm not so sure. He said it was pretty stout. He started to give me Prednisone again until I said I wanted to be pain-free by opening day. :thumb:

·
Registered
65 Posts
IMO there isn't much you can do to make it quit hurting till you take a short break from useing the shoulder. But here's the cat's meow of keeping your shoulder in shape during the long off season......it's called the Bow-Fit. I got one on ebay a few years ago and man has it made my shoulder alot stronger!!! All it is , is a long rubber piece of tubing that has a loop and a handle on it and you draw it back just exactly like drawing your bow. You can double it up to make it a heavyer poundage too. I have nothing to do with the company, but this thing sure has made my bow hunting alot more pleasurable not having a sore shoulder......ever again!!!! Have a great bow season!!!!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,564 Posts
I have pain in my left shoulder too....I've tapered back on my practicing...today I break out the broadheads. I don't know if there's any hope for my shoulder though....I'm bumpin 60 may be my problem. Took a nice trip yesterday...first thing that hit the ground(?)...my left shoulder! Hope you get alright, Bro!:wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.