Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda curious what gun y’all would recommend? I want to get a better shotgun for duck hunting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kinda curious what gun y’all would recommend? I want to get a better shotgun for duck hunting.
Original Benelli Super Black Eagle if you can find one. Or an 870 Super Mag with a thumb hole stock. If you've ever shot an 870 with Magnum loads, you know the reason for the thumb hole.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
182 Posts
I am big on the Browning Invector Plus Barrel that comes with the Maxus and Winchester SX4. They pattern larger steel shot incredibly. The Maxus/Maxus2/SX4 are heavier than a Benelli but again, they pattern well. I have both. Speed load with the Maxus is very nice.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
182 Posts
My next shotgun will be the Browning Maxus II: METAL trigger guard, METAL sling swivels fore and aft, METAL magazine cut off, Invector Plus Barrel.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just held a new Benelli the other day and it felt really good. But want to get info from people who have the guns and know about all the problems with them. Never really heard bad about benelli but I wanna know if they do have a problem.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
182 Posts
I just held a new Benelli the other day and it felt really good. But want to get info from people who have the guns and know about all the problems with them. Never really heard bad about benelli but I wanna know if they do have a problem.
They shoot very clean. The crio plus barrel likes open chokes for steel shot as in .710 and above. They are light. On the my M2, you have to drop the bolt on the first round or they will not fire. You must get a firm weld on the butt stock or they will jam after the first shot——-inertia driven. They are not front heavy. You have to factor that in.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
182 Posts
The word is the SBEIII has rectified the Benelli click whereby all you get is a click when you pull the trigger if you don’t chamber the first shell by hand and then let the bolt slam home on it. They do feel good.

I bought a Cheapo $800 Benelli American at Arego’s in Hot Springs. When I got it home, I was surprised to learn it was made entirely in Italy, it just comes with one choke and no comfort tech stock accoutrements.

Mine had to be broken in to function reliably. That took around 500 shells. The bolt carrier on mine was impossible to get out then once I did get it out, it has flown out twice while patterning it at the gun range. When you take it out, make sure you firmly re-seat it. For some reason, mine does not like the new Black Cloud but that is okay. I shoot the cheap stuff any way——Super X 3” 12 Gauge 1-3/8 oz #2’s.

Speaking of, .705 the factory modified flush choke is mediocre. The .702 ported Kicks High Flyer Full is not good—-too tight. The pattern distorts. I have a non-ported .707 Carlson’s Cremator Mid-Range that is decent.

I have talked to tech service reps at a couple or ammo manufacturers. They say this series of Benelli Barrel does best with a .710 choke tube. When I see one on sale, I will get it. I don’t plan on wasting much more money on this shotgun.

I have a love/hate relationship with this Benelli. My SX3 patterns tons better and has never bobbled but it is heavy. The M2 is good for walk in hunts which is what I do on heavily used WMA’s. It’s not worth the trouble to me of boating in and having four groups set up on top of me or finding ducks one day and then having 7 groups waiting for you the next morning when you get there. But hey that’s public and I have come in on people too. I cannot cast the first stone.

Bottom line: They don’t make shotguns like they used to. You will have to maintenance them. That said, the SX3 has not needed anything done to it in six years and the finish has aged well in six years.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info. You know a lot more about the tech stuff than I do. But I appreciate all the info.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
182 Posts
Thank you for the info. You know a lot more about the tech stuff than I do. But I appreciate all the info.
We have a gun range in our community. I took out the SX3 and Benelli today. The Benelli swings like a well-made tennis racket. The SX3 swings like 4x4 decking posts. I am staying with the benelli. You just have to keep your head down and get into it when you shoot em.’

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I just bought a CZ 1012. Planning on going to the range soon. I was looking for the best quality budget semi auto I could find. CZ is what I went with.
There is always someone that loves a gun that somebody else hates. As long as I have a gun that doesn't jam on me in the woods I'm happy.
My 870 super mag jammed on 3.5s when it was new. Had to do some major cleaning and break in shooting before it finally acted right. I about threw it in the river at first tho. Still like shotgun, just wanted a semi auto for duck hunting.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Mosburg 500 that shoots cheap skeet shot like a pro but when I take it duck hunting it doesn’t want to go off all the time with steel shot 3”. I’ve cleaned it real good and it does better but idk what the deal is but it’s frustrating for sure. Just ready for a good upgrade.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I’m going to try the Retay, the guys at DNW in Jonesboro said they been selling them for 5 years and it’s the only brand that hasn’t been back in the store for repairs.
Final Flight in TN said the same thing, I also like how the gun breaks down so it’s easy to clean.
Anybody here got one?

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
182 Posts
Bud’s Gun Shop has black 3.5” Winchester SX4’s for $830.00 right now.

i have heard good and bad on Retay——made in Turkey FWIW.

I think Beretta shotguns are the best thing going for the money. They are the oldest company in the world to for all that is worth. I called ducks for seven years and the oldest hunting club in Texas. I saw a lot of different shotguns. The Beretta is the most reliable product I’ve ever seen.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bud’s Gun Shop has black 3.5” Winchester SX4’s for $830.00 right now.

i have heard good and bad on Retay——made in Turkey FWIW.

I think Beretta shotguns are the best thing going for the money. They are the oldest company in the world to for all that is worth. I called ducks for seven years and the oldest hunting club in Texas. I saw a lot of different shotguns. The Beretta is the most reliable product I’ve ever seen.
I shot a friends A400 and it was a great shooting shotgun, hardly any recoil at all.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I’m going to try the Retay, the guys at DNW in Jonesboro said they been selling them for 5 years and it’s the only brand that hasn’t been back in the store for repairs.
Final Flight in TN said the same thing, I also like how the gun breaks down so it’s easy to clean.
Anybody here got one?
I’ve been trying to find one for several months now, my FFL can’t find me one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts