Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv not turkey hunted much. Iv been about 4 times my whole life. This year I'm wanting to do more turkey hunting. I'm trying to pattern my shotgun. Here is pics of my patterns with the new Winchester Xr longbeard shells.

ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1393688513.361645.jpg
30 yards

ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1393688556.514359.jpg
40 yards

ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1393688580.581217.jpg
50 yards

I'm not real impressed with these loads. They seem to hit hard but don't seen to pattern well with my gun choke combination. I'm shooting an 870 with an old truglo turkey choke. Any suggestions on loads to try would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,721 Posts
What gauge shotgun, shell length, shot size, ounce of shot, chock restriction?? Are you shooting free hand or from a sled??

·
Registered
23,767 Posts
I would definatly try some different loads or chokes. That's not the best pattern. I shoot a Hastings choke and Winchester supreme #5's 3". That combo works great with my 1187.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What gauge shotgun, shell length, shot size, ounce of shot, chock restriction?? Are you shooting free hand or from a sled??
I'm shootin a 12ga with 3" 1 3/4 ounce #5 shot. Don't know exact choke restriction. I'm not using a sled but am using a rest when shooting.

·
Premium Member
13,721 Posts
30 yard shot looks alright.. 40 yard shot looks to be pulled a little compared to the other two.. 50 yard shot looks to need more choke.. But as stated above, all three shots are dead bird..

·
Banned
193 Posts
I know there has to be a stopping point somewhere on high dollar shells, but even the most expensive ones are the cheapest part of the hunt.

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
Nothing wrong with those patterns. Looks like you pulled a little to the right at 40 yards, but those are all three dead turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
I wouldn't change anything if your getting that with 3" shells.... I shoot an SX3 12g with a Primos Jellyhead choke... I'm using Kent 3.5" 2oz #5.. My patterns are probably a little bit better than yours but not a whole lot.. Of course I paid $12 for my shells where you probably paid close to $30.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't change anything if your getting that with 3" shells.... I shoot an SX3 12g with a Primos Jellyhead choke... I'm using Kent 3.5" 2oz #5.. My patterns are probably a little bit better than yours but not a whole lot.. Of course I paid $12 for my shells where you probably paid close to $30.
Nope the longbeard a were only $18. I really liked how hard they hit just didn't know about the pattern. I was using a piece of tin behind my paper targets and even at 50 yards they were destroying the tin.

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
Nope the longbeard a were only $18. I really liked how hard they hit just didn't know about the pattern. I was using a piece of tin behind my paper targets and even at 50 yards they were destroying the tin.
Wow!... I'd stick with what you got then... If your doing that to tin at 50 yards, and don't kill a turkey this year(within those distances) then you didn't see any or just flat out missed.. JMO.. Good luck man.. Hope you get him!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would pick up a .660 jelly head choke. $45-$50 and pattern lead and he I shot great. I use an 870 and use to shoot he I but I've went back to lead. If you want good lead cheap pick up some Federal Turkey Thugs at Walmart. I like them for the money but the long beard xr should out shoot any other lead load from what I've seen on other forums. If your not happy with your patterns I think your only choices would be change choaks or spend the money on he I shot.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I shoot an 870 with 3 inch Winchester supreme #5 and it does great but I shoot a Remington extra full turkey ch. I rolled a turkey at 55 steps a few years ago but that was a stretch! I like to get them in the30 yard mark. The only reason I took the Long shot was because he was fixing to bolt!

·
Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner
2,115 Posts
The best place to start is with an Indian Creek Choke tube, Heavy Shot Mag Blend or just about any #6 shot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts