Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I harvested a buck that was shot in the left hind leg with a try balded arrow the year befor by the looks of the scar on his leg. His rack on the right side was all messed up and left side is just fine. Would that injury cause the rack to be abnormal?

·
Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015
3,227 Posts
Yes, the half of the rack usually shows a deformity opposite of the side of the injury on the body. Years ago saw a 15 pt with 5 on one side and 10 on the other with its back leg shot off and completely healed over from the year before. The 10 pts was opposite side from which he was missing back leg.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Yes, the half of the rack usually shows a deformity opposite of the side of the injury on the body. Years ago saw a 15 pt with 5 on one side and 10 on the other with its back leg shot off and completely healed over from the year before. The 10 pts was opposite side from which he was missing back leg.
I wonder what he would have been like if he had not had the injury.:head:

·
Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015
3,227 Posts
I wonder what he would have been like if he had not had the injury.:head:
He was a good one. The side with all the points curve outward instead of inward. I wish I had a camera when I saw him. He was fighting with 4 beagles, he was on one side of a log and the beagles was on the other side giving him heck, he was trying to hook them, when he saw me he took off and the way he ran I would never had guess he had one back leg. Ran by another member of our hunting group that got lucky and got him. He was in poor shape body wise but had a great rack. His leg was healed over just above where his knee should have been.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just watched a huntin' show yesterday evening where they shot a buck that was missing his hoof on one of his back legs...They think it got cut off as a fawn from a bush hog or some kind of side mower, anyways they said that normally if a deer is injured on one side of his body that side of his rack will be misformed due to that injury....Never heard of that before thats why i remember it...

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I helped a guy hunt for a wounded buck in south Miller County one year. This guy took a raking shot at the deer's right side and thought he hit him in the neck. The deer fell, flopped, and then got up and ran, which is never a good sign. He said it was a huge 10 point, which I at first took with a grain of salt. (Aren't all the ones that get away monsters?) We never found it.

The next year I killed a large framed 9 point in poor condition not a quarter mile from where the guy lost the one the year before. This buck had ribs showing but had a high, wide 9 point rack with the right side beautifully shaped with 5 points and the left side warped & twisted with 4. I always thought it was the same deer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.