Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year on opening day modern gun season I shot at a big buck with thick
wide antlers. I counted nine points and it looked like a mature deer so I shot
when I got a broadside shot but completly missed. I was using a 20 ga smoothbore shotgun w/ deer slugs. I was in a treestand and the buck didn't seem to know I was there until after the shot but never looked at me directly the whole time. What are the chances that this buck would still be in the area
this year or do you think if his is still alive he'd never set foot in this area ever again.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
He can't remember what happened to him a year ago. If he's sill in the area and you play your cards right ya have a good chance of killing him this year. Hunt hard and good luck :up:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
creatures of habit, he'll be back if he is still alive. I do my best scouting late in the year when the bucks have moved back to the old feedin habits. If they are there in January they will be there in October.:clap:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
About 15 years ago I was muzzleloading one morning, I was on a little bluff over a river from where I could watch 3 shoals. I started hearing a noise off to my left, that kinda sounded like someone trying to start a chainsaw. I kept hearing it for 5-10 minutes, finally it dawned on me, it was 2 bucks fighting. I was starting to head over to try to stalk up on the bucks. I happened to glance down at the shoal right in front of me, and there stood a nice 8 point, he had heard the ruckus, and was coming to it from across the river. He was only 25-30 yards away, well, I put it on him, and the dang muzzloader misfired, I saw the gravel fly up between his legs. He never reacted or ran a step, he just turned and took his good easy time heading back into the woods, slow enough that I reloaded, and missed a second time, he went up river to the far shoal and crossed there, where I missed a 3rd time. I ended up going over to that area, only to see all three bucks flagging it up thru the bottoms.

Fast forward to modern gun season, opening morning. My 7-8 year old son and I were sitting on the same spot. Look up and there's the same 8 pointer. I tell my son to shoot him, the boy would just look at me and grin. I keep motioning for him to shoot, he just keeps grinning at me. Finally, I decide he don't aim to shoot. So I get the buck in my crosshairs, only my crosshairs aren't parallel like they're supposed to be, the scope has worked loose in the rings. I figure the zero point is still on, and let 'em have it, I saw gravel fly up between his legs again, the buck just stood there. I reload and aimed higher, more flying gravel. Finally, I grab the scope with the buck still just standing there, and twist it back flat, then on the 3rd shot, I killed the rascal. I had shot 6 times over a three week period at this buck, and he never ran one step.

He was a fairly nice buck too, nice looking deer and all, have no idea what was wrong with him. He sure wouldn't afraid of getting shot at.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Deer have no concept of getting shot at. They don't know how guns or bullets work. They are sometimes frightened by a loud noise or spooked by seeing movement. I suspect most of the deer that people say smelled them were actually spooked by movement. I have missed several deer that just stood there and allowed me to kill them with the second shot. Bucks seem to hang around after the shot better than does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.