Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Grand Member
15,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got a Bear Montana longbow ( 50 pounds) last year and started shooting it a little, this spring I got to shooting it pretty often until the tornado visited on May 2, when it got put on the back burner for a while. I've managed to get it out and shoot every few days for the last 6 weeks or so and have got to where I feel comfortable shooting out to around 20 yards or so. My question to you traditional experts is this. If I kneel, on one knee or both, my groups are cut in half compared to when I shoot standing up. Any ideas as to why? I've tried to see if my anchor is changing or anything in the different positions, but can't detect any change. My groups kneeling are as good at 25 yards as my groups standing at 15.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,500 Posts
Be sure to follow through; that may be the single most important thing to do. If you find yourself trying to see where your arrow went right after it leaves your bow, your groups will suffer. Try to keep your bow in position and let your string arm stay lightly touching your shoulder till after the arrow arrives at the target. Make it into a habit [called good form]:wink:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It may have some to do with weight distribution in your stance. Try putting about 60% of your wieght on the balls of your feet with a little more weight on your front foot. This gives you more ballance and a more stable platform for the rest of your shot to develope. But most important make sure all other aspects of your form are the same from kneeling to standing.

You are the first trad shooter to be better at kneeling than standing that I have heard of. So you will have to work on you form standing using what you do kneeling as a basis to build on. Pay close attention to what is going on throughout the shot while kneeling then try to make it happen the same way standing. This is exact opposite of what I have to do. Sitting or kneeling is harder for me to shoot as good.:smack:

Sounds to me like a ground blind is in order for you my friend.:thumb:

Boom

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Sam, I don't have a lot of experience with the trad stuff but pay attention to how much your canting your bow when kneeling and try to get the same amount when standing and see if that helps. Like I said my experience is low but I have shot a few and they seemed to have a sweet spot for me on the amount of cant they like.

Boomer's advice of transferring more of your weight to your front foot was something else that also seemed to help me out.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Make sure you are standing with your feet at a 45 degree angle to your target and bend at the waist. the later will help tremendously from a tree stand. More than anything I have found most of the time it is all about the focus when shooting instinctively.

·
Grand Member
15,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just came in from shooting the bow. After really paying attention to what I was do'n, it seems that when I shoot from a kneeling position I'm bending at the waist quite a bit, when I was standing I was almost straight backed. After I started bending at the waist while standing my groups tightened up some, still not as good as kneeling, but better. I'm sold on using ground blinds, that's why I was try'n the kneeling position to start with, not many of them are tall enough to shoot a bow, specially a long bow, while standing.
Thanks guys.:up:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Sam,
Suggestion that usually helps. Have someone video you while shooting. Look at the video to see what is different and what you need to do to improve. Pay attention to upper body position, elbow position at full draw, and position of head. Watching yourself shoot is a great help.

·
Registered
585 Posts
And never drop your bow arm till you know the arrow has found it's destination!:up:
That's a great tip! Is there a chance that you drop your bow arm while standing and maybe you don't while kneeling? I don't shoot as much as I used to, but I always shot better in awkard positions because I was more focused. I also shot better at night with a flood light in my backyard. The reason was I really could not see anything around me so I stayed focused on the target. Try shooting in the dark with a light on your target. I guarantee you will shoot noticeably better.

Since I moved to concrete he:censored: for a career opporunity I am unable to shoot enough to be proficent anymore. I still have my trad bows and plan to get back into it in a few years. Until then I've resorted to picking real longbows (rifles). I do enjoy the guns, but there is nothing like taking a deer with a trad bow, cedar arrows, and broadheads you sharpened yourself. Good luck hunting this year!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.