Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people shoot button heads, but how are you gonna have any legal bucks in 2 or 3 years if you shoot the little ones. Who shares my opinion, i'm sure people disagree. Even the meat factor, 4 hamburgers in a yearling vs. 120lb. in a doe or more. This is one thing I have been raised to not kill everything and let the little ones grow. :soapbox: I've heard it from my Uncle and his son, they are more tender, but they give all of the deer away. I know lots of people that shoot baby deer, and I have changed some of their minds after pointing out they are taking out the next year and next years deers. One person was complaining about not seeing any good bucks, but year in and out they shot lots of button bucks...:banghead:

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I know people shoot button heads, but how are you gonna have any legal bucks in 2 or 3 years if you shoot the little ones. Who shares my opinion, i'm sure people disagree. Even the meat factor, 4 hamburgers in a yearling vs. 120lb. in a doe or more. This is one thing I have been raised to not kill everything and let the little ones grow. :soapbox: I've heard it from my Uncle and his son, they are more tender, but they give all of the deer away. I know lots of people that shoot baby deer, and I have changed some of their minds after pointing out they are taking out the next year and next years deers. One person was complaining about not seeing any good bucks, but year in and out they shot lots of button bucks...:banghead:
You wont see me shoot bambie :cool:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
Better not set rules that you can't keep...one of these days you'll hafta help manage instead of procrastinate....or you might mistake a yearlin buck for a doe! You will do what you hafta do when it comes down to management decisions that will require that you reduce the numbers of deer in a given area, and when that day comes; you might not have the stomach for it, so call me, I can handle it.:whistle:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Sounds like someone is itchin to start a fight.:doh: I don't shoot yearlings and I don't shoot jakes , but I'm not going to tell someone else they can't shoot a legal animal. If it's what your looking for and it makes you feel good then by all means take it. If your ashamed of it then shame on you.:frown:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I think alot of it happens by mistake. A yearling buck can almost be as big as a momma doe. I know when I first started hunting 5 or 6 years ago I couldn't tell. I shot 2 that year. I really didn't know what to look for. I know what you mean though, and I agree with you. A button buck should be avoided at all cost IMO.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
My first deer was a yearling doe. After doing a little more study on body size and shape I haven't made that mistake again. I'm not going to criticize someone for taking a yearling, simply because it is legal. It does stand to reason that if we didn't shoot them our deer population would be older/bigger.:skeptical:

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
When yall are saying "yearling" you mean fawn, right? I always thought a yearling would be a 1.5 yr old deer... Not fully mature, but not a fawn. Does anybody else call them that way? I'm not sure which is technically correct.

Anyway, not to high-jack the thread...
Biologically speaking, a doe is a doe is a doe. It absolutely does not matter how old she is when she is removed from the herd. In fact, an old doe is more likely to survive the winter, and she's more likely to have twin fawns next year, so I would think that if you really want to help the population, you should shoot the youngest one you can?

I think the percentage of people who would shoot a button-buck on purpose is very small. You cant ask everybody to become an expert on deer biology before you give them an anterless tag. Accidents happen. Relax!!!

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
It does stand to reason that if we didn't shoot them our deer population would be older/bigger.:skeptical:
It stands to my reason that if you DO shoot them, your population will be older bigger.

Let's say you have a small piece of property that 4 does spend most of their time on. The four of them are .5, 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5 yrs old. That average age would be 2 yrs old.
SCENARIO 1
Shoot the oldest doe... Now your avg age is 1.5.
SCENARIO 2
Shoot the youngest doe... Now your avg age is 2.5.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm sure it is done more my mistake than anything else. I have shot several button bucks over the years by mistake with a bow. I will be out looking to kill a doe and one will come walking in pretty fast 30 to 40 yards out. When they come in like that you dont have a whole lot of time to study them especially if they are further out. I kinda hated to find out they were bucks but I got over it. Yes they also seemed to be very tender.

·
Registered
494 Posts
While people are on their soapboxes: A yearling buck is 1.5 years old and should not be a button buck. Button bucks are fawns not yearlings.

And on the subject of killing small deer, if the season is nearing an end and we need to kill additional doe, I will shoot them no matter how big they are. With a good pair of binaculars and patients you can all but stop killing BB.

·
Super Moderator
14,033 Posts
While I wont bash you guys for doing it I would never do it myself!
We had a problem with a guy on our lease with that so I propossed a mandatory fine at the last meeting and it was passed. We now have fine of $50 for any BB shot on the lease. We are a "trophy management" lease and no bucks can be shot with less than 4pt on one side w/out a fine, it made no since to me to let a BB be killed but not a 6pt.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Accidents happen i "try" not to shoot buttons but i have in the past...some of us hunt for trophy buck and some of us hunt for meat so pretty much what it boils down to is what you are hunting for. The AGFC did put it now that if you do kill a button then you just used a buck tag where as in the past it just counted as an antlerless deer. This defers some people away from killing them. I'll try my best not to kill yearlins but towards the end of season if the freezer is looking a little thin and one offers me a shot then i'm gonna get some meat!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
"yearling" means first year, less than 1 year of age. That means it's a fawn with or with out spots.

A deer is a yearliing from the spring it is born to the following spring when it is over 1 year of age, by the second hunting season it is 1.5 years of age it is no longer a yearling, it is a adolesent, non-mature deer.

And yes I will shoot one first of season to get some meat then I will wait for older ones since the pressure is off.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I went and googled the definition of yearling...
I dont really care what you call them. A bunch of my buddy's commonly say "I had a doe with 2 yearlings come up on me," and I know they mean "fawns."
I checked a couple sites that came up and it seems the generally accepted definition of yearling is "A deer that is between 1 year old and 2 years old."

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.