Shoot me some ideas

Discussion in 'Habitat Management' started by possum, Jan 4, 2011.

1. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

This is the approximate border for 53 acres, the blue line indicates an underground spring that might put a small pocket of ground here and there up until about mid-summer. The blue spotchy area stays wet pretty much year round.

Ideas, I've got a few....share yours.
    [​IMG]
    Lots of open ground, it's been used to run cattle.

2. possum

:doh: Man that pic was quiet a bit bigger when I previewed the post.

3. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

Sell the cows. :up:

4. Damascus-Doug

Damascus-Doug Well-Known Member

That's funny! :fit::fit:

5. possum

:wink: They didn't get sold but it should be fenced off by the Spring.

I don't run cattle.

6. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

That the smartest thing I've heard from you possum. :rolleyes:

7. possum

I know they have their place, but not where I'm wanting to make my own little deer paradise. :thumb:

8. Rackmaster

Rackmaster Well-Known Member

Contact the Natural Resources Conservation Service ... tell them you'd like to convert your pasture land to wildlife habitat. The number for the office in Conway is 501-327-6509, ext. 3

9. possum

Actually, I have looked into their programs

10. TMHC

TMHC Well-Known Member

11. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I would probably plant pine on most of it. Upper right 1/4 looks like you might be able to put a pond in - can't tell for sure. That open strip riight down the middle - I might plant RR soybeans in the upper half and wheat in the lower half - large area - could support a good many deer. The soybeans would bring them in during the summer through about now. The wheat will keep them in food Oct - Feb, plus supply feeding, bugging, and nesting for turkeys if you have them. In addition, you could mow part of the wheat end of July and probably pull enough doves for a shoot come September. Maybe a couple one acre foodplots - one upper left and one lower left - not right on the border - these would be your hunting plots becuase they would be near what appears to be a larger block of woods to pull deer from. After your pine starts growing, you will be holding plenty of deer on your own place. Plant some Arkansas Black and Fuji apples around the foodplots - both late maturing varieties - good for deer in the fall. Nice looking parcel - lots of potential - don't be surprised if it works you to death.:thumb:

12. possum

I know it's to look at a pic and tell because you can't see the rise and falls in elevation, but the best places for a pond would be right center (best probably) and lower left because of natural drainage. Another thing you can't really see is south of the east/west fence row along the blue line is an area that opens up pretty good and I'm thinking that might be a good spot for a little plot given it gives the appearance of having relatively decent cover surrounding it.

When I get back to my computer I'll mark some stuff out for opinions.

13. angus

angus Well-Known Member

If you own the land, Contact AFC (Arkansas forestry Commission) and if its not too late get some pines and a couple of wildlife packets.The new loblollies have a 39% increased growth rate. Deer only need about 30-50% cover.

Then plant Kieffer and Orient Pears (as well as perhaps some Moonglow for your own enjoyment) Moonglow are good to eat and cross pollinate with the Orient pears which are good cooking pears. All are fire blight resistant. Dolgo crabapples are good too. If you want some apples for yourself. Enterprise apples are highly blight resistant. A semi dwarf will bear in 4-5 years.

Plant the pines in clumps in the middle of the field to break them up. (Use tree tubes or the deer/rabbits will kill young young trees. Then plant a couple acres of corn and just let it stand. It gives them wonderful cover and food all at the same time.

Plant some pecans, Elliot Curtis are type 2, and Cape fear, Okonee, Pawnee are type 1.( you need both type 1 and 2 for pollination. All are disease resistant and bear early. Deer squirrel love them and you can harvest some for yourself as well. enough pecans will actually cash flow. Another excellent food/cover that can cash flow and provide some food for yourself are Hydrid hazelnuts. Do all of the above and in five years you will have a deer/squirrel/turkey paradise, as well as some nice produce for yourself.

14. angus

angus Well-Known Member

NOTE: tree tubes are for the fruit trees not the pine. I Have similar patch in terms of open terrain/cover relation. I also replaced Imperial clover for the Fescue/bermuda hay that I had. It makes a good natural food plot, and deer will eat tall fescue but its not preferred. Imperial clover is best. Alfalfa is good too but its very high maintenance. Clover will also produce nitrogen for the fruit trees and make a great ground cover around them. I planted 20 of the three different pears, and about 40 pecans tress. Tulip or yellow poplar also grow fast have good timber value and wildlife value. Squirrel eat the buds and deer browse the leaves as well as eat the dropped buds. They grow like weeds. Black willow is good deer browse, and they will really soak up the wet spots along your riparian area. Plus they have some timber value. Re pines; 12x12' spacing allows enough light to provide plant growth as well as being best for veneer production over the long run, and actually in the long run, cash flows better than tighter spacing.

15. angus

angus Well-Known Member

Lastly encourage all the natural poke salad growth you can in the thickets. Folks overlook poke salad as a summer/early fall food source. Same for beauty berry.

16. angus

angus Well-Known Member

Depending upon where its at etc., I would also think of creating value as well as deer. "What could I plant that would be 'value added" to the land itself?" Ten-twenty acres of a potentially productive pecan orchard, would prove a lot more valuable than a bunch of pines. Of course the initial planting of the pines would be dirt cheap and have lower maintenance, They are dirt cheap compared to fruit or nut trees and given bulk planting, you do not need to worry about watering etc, the first few years of growth. To keep fruit nut tree vital you would have to water them every few days during the dry season. Also for optimum production of the fruits/nuts, 13-13-13 once a year, or 10-10-10. But over the long run, you would make the land more valuable with fruits and nuts rather than pines, despite the initial costs. I would also plant a some black walnut trees, and forget about them for about 35 years, save for grooming them for height rather than nuts.If you like squirrel hunting plant some mulberries. Deer like them in the Spring, and they are a wonderful squirrel magnet. Sitting under a ripening mulberry tree with a .22 during the Memorial Day Weekend is great fun!

17. Zeeriverrat

Zeeriverrat Well-Known Member

Angus..Where are you getting those fruit trees...? I may have to try a few on my place...

Z

18. angus

angus Well-Known Member

I ordered mine from Willis Orchards an online nursery site. I have also ordered nut tree from TY Ty nursery, also online. You sometimes have to be careful with local or bargain nurseries as they sell things like Bartlett pears which are almost sure to die of fire blight. Orient, kieffer, moonglow, harrows' pride, Potomac, all have good fire blight resistance. Orient and Kieffer are cooking pears while the others are good to eat raw. Pears do need to be stored and aged a bit prior to eating. Kieffers are self pollinating but the others need to be cross pollinated. that is plant another type of pear tree close by. Pears do not need the same maintenance as apples and grow OK even in poor soils. They do need full sunlight and well drained soil with PH around 6. Best grown on slopes and hill sides. A few kieffers will produce many bushels of pears. Deer love them and they make great preserves.

Best fire blight resistant apples are William's Pride and Enterprise. The former an early apple and the latter a late one. Both can be pollinated with a crabapple. Williams is sweet but does not keep well. enterprise spicy, great for eating and pies and keeps well. I enjoy playing with my orchard and nut trees nearly as much as I do hunting! For me, its good therapy! With apples you do have to worry about cedar apple rust. Pears can almost be neglected. one old wag once noted that the best way to make a Kiefer pear tree grow is to plant and then try to kill it. If you have ever found an old pear tree on some abandoned farm it was most probably a kiefer. They live for 100 years. Orients and kiefers make beautiful flowers too in the Spring. Deer will stand in line waiting for those pears to drop!!! Orients drop in Sept-Oct and kieffers in Oct-Nov., perfect for hunting.

19. Zeeriverrat

Zeeriverrat Well-Known Member

Angus..Thanks for the info..

Z