Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bluetick who is driving the neighborhood crazy with her barking all day. I have tried a couple different collars. The only one that works is a remote which obviously doesn't help when the wife and I are at work. Any suggestions? She has two on now and I have had 2 neighbors send texts today about her barking again. My kids love that dog but I am at the point where she is about to be gone.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Sounds like the collar isn’t fitting right, doesn’t make good contact. I had dog that was a nightmare. Outside dog. As soon as it got dark each night, he barked non-stop without taking a breath until the sun came up again. I finally got the right bark collar (don’t remember the brand) but it was like an off switch. He would bark one time with it on, yelp, then shut up for the rest of the night. But he was clever. He knew if he was wearing the collar or a fake and he would give it a test bark to make sure it was on. If he was wearing a fake collar or it wasn’t turned on, he went right back to his favorite hobby.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Sounds like the collar isn’t fitting right, doesn’t make good contact. I had dog that was a nightmare. Outside dog. As soon as it got dark each night, he barked non-stop without taking a breath until the sun came up again. I finally got the right bark collar (don’t remember the brand) but it was like an off switch. He would bark one time with it on, yelp, then shut up for the rest of the night. But he was clever. He knew if he was wearing the collar or a fake and he would give it a test bark to make sure it was on. If he was wearing a fake collar or it wasn’t turned on, he went right back to his favorite hobby.
I remember going to field trials when I was a kid (early 90's) and seeing long strings of dogs tied out with bark collars on. They'd all kinda bark real quiet as you walked by with your dog, one would get carried away and get a little too loud, YELP, and shut up.

You might be right about the contacts. When I first started using an e-collar on my current dog, I was not getting it tight enough. Now I pretty much always go an extra notch tighter than I first think, but I make sure I can fit a couple fingers under the collar so it's not too tight.

Old Delmar Smith book I recently read recommended spraying spraying them with the hose if you have a dog that wont stop barking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Garmin bark collars 100%. I have been using them for lots of years. Started when they tri-tronics before being bought out by garmin. A couple of reasons I use them over all of the other brands. They are rugged and built well. It will cost you about $100
1. They work.
2. Motion/vibration sensor. They shut off or power down after so long with no movement to give better battery life. Once a vibration (from a bark or growl) or motion they turn back on.
3. Various levels of stimulation. I think their are 8 levels if you count the vibration only level. This allows you to adjust to the dog. I have had dogs that the vibration would work and other that would bark through the lower levels.
4. Garmin generally has a good customer service and warranty should any malfunctions or defects happen.

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
3,130 Posts
My Garmin collars have a bark control function. Quick and easy, very effective. They do have to be tight, and some dogs build may require longer contacts.

·
Registered
17,287 Posts
Get a good one and be done with it. Don't mess with a warning beep. No means NO!

Get a real dog collar at Basspro or the likes. Don't mess with Walmart junk. I use Dogtra and turn it as hot as it goes right off the bat. No need in ***** footing around. Zero tolerance. It won't mess them up for hunting either. They know when that heavy collar is on and when it's not. You can't leave them on all the time or it will wear holes in their necks. You will be amazed at how they figure them out. When mine seeing me coming with one they just hunker down and then go pout it their dog house cause they know they can't mess up my nights sleep. Life is too short to let a dog ruin it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts