Shed dogs

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by Jayepea, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Jayepea

Jayepea Active Member

Does anyone have any experience with shed dogs?

2. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    A buddy of mine has some. What kind of info you looking for? He said he picks up way more sheds with them than he ever did without.

3. Jayepea

Jayepea Active Member

What breed does he have? How hard it is to train a dog? Better to start with a young dog or can I train an older dog? Just curious I found 3 sheds the other day without much effort. Planning on going this weekend to search a little harder.

4. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    He runs labs and said it was fairly easy to train them. He always starts with young dogs but he also breeds them every now and then just for shed dogs or if someone wants one for waterfowl. He starts them out just throwing an antler just like you would with a bumper for waterfowl. First thing is to teach them to want to bring it back to you (even though most labs should do this). Once they get so they are bringing it back he just starts taking them out in the yard after he placed the antler somewhere in the wide open and lets the dog hunt for it and then praises the dog. Then just progressively get harder. He personally doesn't use any of the antler wax on his sheds. The antler wax is just a wax that you put on the base that gives a stronger smell for the dog to be able to find. He took his dogs to a field trial for shed hunting and they use the wax there. He said they were on the start line and the wind started to blow into their face and because the scent was stronger than what he normally trains with his dog had a line on the first antler directly from the start line. This allowed his dog to get the first antler in just afew seconds and crush the course time.

5. Jayepea

Jayepea Active Member

Dang! That's good stuff thanks!!