Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found great homes for 3 of the 4 beagle pups. But the one that was to take little Annie Oakley flaked out on her. And honestly that is just fine as they probably did her a favor. It looks as though she will be staying here with us! She has fit in well and at 8 weeks is already showing her smarts. She's a fast learner and already will fetch a little ball and bring it to me most of the time. She just loses focus sometimes. (8 week old pups have the attention span of a goldfish).

I'm having ideas I might try to train her to do shed hunting. Do you all think a beagle with training could learn to do that?

Any suggestions on books, websites, videos to use as resources?

Dog Vertebrate Comfort Mammal Dog breed

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Idk about beagle training but there’s a ton of videos on YouTube and some shed training sites that should help, but I don’t see why a beagle wouldn’t do just as good as anything else. Btw that puppy is seriously adorable and love the name.

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btw that puppy is seriously adorable and love the name.
I named the pups just to have something to call each of them until they went to new homes. But the new owners I believe are all keeping their names. I went with famous women of the west.
The lemon colored one is Pearl Hart, the one that kept getting into dangerous situations is Calamity Jane, the one with a white "star" on her neck is Belle Starr, and this gal is Annie Oakley. Which also happened to be a nickname I was given when I was learning to shoot as I did pretty well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I named the pups just to have something to call each of them until they went to new homes. But the new owners I believe are all keeping their names. I went with famous women of the west.
The lemon colored one is Pearl Hart, the one that kept getting into dangerous situations is Calamity Jane, the one with a white "star" on her neck is Belle Starr, and this gal is Annie Oakley. Which also happened to be a nickname I was given when I was learning to shoot as I did pretty well.
We kept her name the same and she's somewhat responding to it already. I've worked with her on sitting for about 10 minutes and she's picking it up. We also hung a bell at the back door and knocked it when we took her outside, she now bumps it with her nose to let us know she wants outside. She is very laid back and lays with our kids all the time. I would have loved to take Annie, but I'm not sure I can handle both of them in bed with us lol.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That’s pretty cool, I usually name mine after Star Wars characters or favorite movie characters. I wish you luck though, I tried shed training with my lab but he’s kinda weird and just refused.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
One of mine is named Jailbreak for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There's a reason they are the #1 pet of choice in America!
We found great homes for 3 of the 4 beagle pups. But the one that was to take little Annie Oakley flaked out on her. And honestly that is just fine as they probably did her a favor. It looks as though she will be staying here with us! She has fit in well and at 8 weeks is already showing her smarts. She's a fast learner and already will fetch a little ball and bring it to me most of the time. She just loses focus sometimes. (8 week old pups have the attention span of a goldfish).

I'm having ideas I might try to train her to do shed hunting. Do you all think a beagle with training could learn to do that?

Any suggestions on books, websites, videos to use as resources?

View attachment 334931
I got a nephew that's big on shed dogs . He trains as well as trial hunt .he has several champion dogs if you want I think they have a Facebook page as well if you want to talk to a pro I can hook you up with that as well .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts