Sharpening Broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by coonnutz, Jan 2, 2011.

1. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

I have about a half dozen Muzzy 4 Blade 100Gr broadheads, that I mainly use for target practice. Is there a way I can sharpen these things so I could possibly hunt with them?

2. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

I never tried. I always just bought new ones. Not unless using a pair of pliers or vice grips. Go over a stone.:shrug: Sounded good.:biggrin:. I want to say they make a sharpener for 3 blades, but not 4 bladed.

3. coonnutz

Am wondering if a regular knife sharpener would work or not:head:

4. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

The blades are replaceable ain't they? That sounds a whole lot easier.

5. I recently asked a similar question and someone posted this link for me. I have mine ordered right now. So I can not tell you how well it works. But the person that gave me the web page said it worked very well. He also said in his opinion this was the only way to do it. Here is the link.

http://www.kmesharp.com/

6. coonnutz

I searched back about 5 pages looking for a something about sharpening broadheads, I remembered one being started, guess I didn't go back far enough:shrug:

If you don't mind let me know how it works out for you. this would be cheaper in the long run than buying new blades every year.

7. I agree with you on the cheeper part. That is why I started asking about it. I will sure let you know how it turns out for me. IF it gets here when they say its supposed to it will be here Monday. I will let you what I think about it.

8. Have gun will travel

Have gun will travel Well-Known Member

Lansky Sharpener

I showed my dad and brother how to use one to resharpen their replaceable blades. I even proved they could be made sharper than out of the package.

The Lansky is easy to use, can be picked up at Acadamey and I live just up the road if you want to see how I use it.

I got a kme knife sharpener for Christmas. It is very nice and well made but it doesn't do any better than my lansky and the lansky is less money. I'm not knocking the kme, it's a fine sharpening stystem but I know I can get the same edge at less cost.

If you do get a Lansky all you need is the standard kit but I highy suggest buying the yellow handle ultra fine stone to finish the edge. To me it makes all the difference.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  9. jrfoyil

jrfoyil Well-Known Member

I prefer to sharpen my muzzy's myself. you can get a little better edge on them if you are will in to put in the time. I use a regular wet rock to sharpen mine with no problem. I leave the head on an arrow and make sure it is in as tight as possible to keep from slipping when sharpening. The three blades are a little easier to sharpen but you i have done the four blades as well. I pull the blades and sharpen the tip on the by itself. Then put the blades back in and just work them. Have to be sure you have the head tight though.

10. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

Smith abrasives out of Hot springs makes a sharpener for broadheads. it looks just like their handheld sharpener. It is availalable on their website or acadamy sports has it too. i have used it on my G5 montecs and it works great

11. hortonhunter

hortonhunter Well-Known Member

nea
    :up: