Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
yes I will but you got to be careful they don't homestead.:biggrin:

I have two I don't though.......I have a personal stand that I am quite protective of and my son has a special stand.

Now I have taken people to my special stand and we hunt togather. Actually I am working on building a new super condo for that spot. Like 6x8 about 12' tall with the works like glass windows,built in heater and a recliner!

I want a walk way around it and who knows what else.....the sky is the limit.:thumb:

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
At our camp, everyone usually has a spot that they've pretty much baited up for opening weekend. After the 3rd day or so of the season it's usually every man for himself for the most part.
My mom has the best stand and we have trouble keeping people off of it most of the time though. This past year my dad and I pretty much had to homestead her stand just to keep others off it. Next year it will be locked up.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I am not in a lease, I hunt with some some friends that have land. There is only 3 of us that hunt it and they are hardly ever out there during bow season. So our rule is if they are not out there than hunt any stand you want unless told otherwise.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have always felt that if you are not there, it is fair game. If a person has paid to be on a 3000 acre lease, he should have the right to hunt all of it. I hunt ouf of portable stands 100% of the time and and do not spend money on bait so that is never an issue with me. It is rare that anyone finds my spots. If someone moves into the area that I am hunting, I just go to another spot. I always have many more options.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I hunted 3 days as a guest this season on a lease. They draw for areas for first few days and after that it's whoever signs the board claiming that area each day first. These guys have food plots and some feeders and 40 members for 5000 acres.:thumb: Seems to work OK there.

I have had problems with guys hunting my crossings on public lands. Can't really say anything as it's open to everyone. But it sucks when you take someone you consider a hunting buddy and the they try to beat you to your spot the next time.:frown: :mad: :eek: That has gotten me to the point of taking no one hunting much. Fishing is worst as guys want to take over our honey holes( brushpiles and stakebeds). I started guiding to cut down on local freeloaders and don't allow anyone to carry a GPS now. Sad that so many want to use others spots instead of putting forth effort to find their own.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
This actually is a pretty good topic......I have had more grief over stands than any other issues with my club.
Some put a lot of time and money into an area and feel like they should have exclusive access and others think if they are not there they should have the right to hunt it.
I have a few that like to jump around and hunt all over and sometimes this causes conflict.
I like to jump around also from time to time.

But over the years I have leaned toward what the majority likes and right now it is a mans stand is his castle.
If that person says it's ok then good ..if not then find another.....

Also I have found that the ones that don't like the mans stand is his castle theory are the ones that won't take the time to put up a castle of their own.
I hate to say it but the conflict may end up hurting those that can't live with the majoritys feelings.
The castle beleivers are pushing to pay more have fewer hunters so that this doesnt occur. I may have to go that way to keep my firm dependable paying members and some may get let go.

It is kind of sad when we actually have literally hundreds of acres not hunted but some just think others grass is greener and won't venture into these areas and make a castle.

But like I said I let people as long they don't homestead and I know. It's the ones that just take advantage of the generosity that urk me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
In the club that I belong to, we have 24 permanent box stands that came with the property and numerous ladder stands, climbers, and tripods that belong to the members. We have all been hunting together for 12 + years so nobody cares if another member uses their personal stands as long as they ask first and the owner of the stand doesn't want to hunt it. All of our box stands are on a first come first serve basis and we have had no disagreements over stands.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
In the club that I belong to, we have 24 permanent box stands that came with the property and numerous ladder stands, climbers, and tripods that belong to the members. We have all been hunting together for 12 + years so nobody cares if another member uses their personal stands as long as they ask first and the owner of the stand doesn't want to hunt it. All of our box stands are on a first come first serve basis and we have had no disagreements over stands.
If you don't me asking how many acres and how many members?

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
I usually don't, but have had stands offered to me to hunt for a day. I have a couple times. I would be concerned myself for the safety of someone falling from one of my stands. Not that they're not on good, but I would just hate for it to happen. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it myself for liability issues.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually don't, but have had stands offered to me to hunt for a day. I have a couple times. I would be concerned myself for the safety of someone falling from one of my stands. Not that they're not on good, but I would just hate for it to happen. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it myself for liability issues.
Could you be liable for that?

·
Registered
240 Posts
We have some that don't mind sharing stands and some that are really protective. I have on tripod that I am protective of and will only let a couple of people hunt it.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I forgot to say earlier, if friend of mine goes with me he is getting the stand that is producing the most. I only have one friend my age that hunts so i try to get the intersted.

Also if you hunt someones stand dont leave water bottles or skoal cans laying around. :mad:

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Could you be liable for that?
Yes you could, especially if somehow they could show fault or neglect. When I broke my back the guy who owned the land was scared to death that I was going to sue him. I was advised that I needed to and could have won 6 figures. It was my fault and I'm not that kind of person so I didn't pursue it. Someone else may have done it.:frown:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Yes you could, especially if somehow they could show fault or neglect. When I broke my back the guy who owned the land was scared to death that I was going to sue him. I was advised that I needed to and could have won 6 figures. It was my fault and I'm not that kind of person so I didn't pursue it. Someone else may have done it.:frown:
I just gained a little more respect for you Johnf:thumb:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Me and a BIL have an understanding, I hunt the stand during bowseason ( since he couldn't hit a barn wall from the inside with a bow) and I give way during gunseason

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hunt a 7000 acre plus lease with about 60 members and we have rules no one is to hunt your designated #1 stand without your permission. It has worked well until last year and a few started locking their stands and some started just getting into any stand the desired. One member tried 6 mornings to hunt his #1 stand but each morning there was a orange shirt sitting up there like he owns it. Pretty disturbing to say the least. It will be worked out come board meeting time. I've vented now.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Our camp had the "rule" that if a stand was built, it was the camp's stand. Everyone had an area where they hunted, so it wasn't a problem, until new stands were built with padlocks. If one member has 12 stands, 11 will be open when he is hunting. Do members pay the same amount in dues? I will have to stay in the camp and wait until someone dies off to better my hunting site.:thumb: Not nice to say, but seems to be the truth.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts