Arkansas Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
22 is fun
Ammo is relatively cheap
But if i was to spend big money on a rifle id want a distance caliber. Stack bullet holes at 200 yds is more impressive than at 50 yds to me. Just me. Not knocking 22s. They are fun. The anshiz marlin snipper money is just as fun as the expensive ones. Maybe not as precise but score it and try to beat it is the same difference to me. ONLY MY OPINION.

·
Registered
989 Posts
22 is fun
Ammo is relatively cheap
But if i was to spend big money on a rifle id want a distance caliber. Stack bullet holes at 200 yds is more impressive than at 50 yds to me. Just me. Not knocking 22s. They are fun. The anshiz marlin snipper money is just as fun as the expensive ones. Maybe not as precise but score it and try to beat it is the same difference to me. ONLY MY OPINION.
Your first sentence is not totally accurate, I paid almost $1300.00 for my last shipment of Lapua CenterX

·
Registered
989 Posts
What’s your rim fire cleaning regimen & how often?
WillyB71, What I say here is MY method of cleaning, you will hear those who say I will ruin my barrels with my method. I might indeed ruin a barrel if I should live another 50 years but in the last 50 years I have managed to shoot 10s of thousands of rounds through a fine little Remington 541-S, it will still make bug holes at 50 yards.
I'll get right along and cause much wailing and moaning out of the "don't use a bronze core copper brush to clean a .22 rifle" I buy top quality bronze core copper bristle brushes by the dozens, oh and I don't use a bore guide, maybe you need one, I don't. I have never damaged the bore with a cleaning rod.
I'll skip what brands of solvent you NEED to use, there are literally dozens of brands of solvent and most will do a good job cleaning. I mix my own concoction that has served me well for many decades. 50% Hoppes, 25% Kroil oil, 25% Marvel mystery oil.
The dreaded combustion ring that forms at the case mouth after repeated firings, if not kept in check it can be a bear to get out. The more tooling marks at the lead, the faster it builds a combustion ring. I use a 6mm bronze core copper brush soaked in solvent and attached to a moderate length .22 caliber stainless PISTOL cleaning rod, you will feel the brush get tight when you get to the lands, stop right there and reverse the rod, it will be tight, pull hard, it has to reverse the bristles on the brush, after a few stroke like this it fits the chamber quite well. I usually do about 20 strokes, wetting bristles after about 5 passes. let it soak a couple of hours. Repeat brushing again, keeping bristles wet. allow to set another hour or until morning if the barrel is slightly pointed downward. Then with good flannel patches (the first one wet) patch with dry patches and look for dark streaks on the patches, if your still getting dirty patches, soak again. Always remove the magazine before cleaning, if not, the magazine will get enough solvent in it to cause feeding problems later on.
That's how I* do it, you* do it however it suits you. A point to remember, you wouldn't live long enough to wear a barrel out brushing it with good quality bronze core copper bristle brushes if you brushed with a wet brush 10 hours a day for 50 years.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.