Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
30,804 Posts
May not be in the Walmart Store..
Walmart sells them.. Gotta know the Right folks..
Guns and Scopes...
LJ is Spot on..LJ IS A CHAMPIONSHIP SHOOTER..I SEEN IT.....
With my Rifle and Scope and Ammo...
Shot cans and bottles off a log at 100 Yards..
Off handed..no Rest...
MAKE NO MISTAKE LJ CAN SHOOT....
LJ isn’t shooting a Walmarks scope Jackie…

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I wipe my rimfire rifles and pistols down after range/hunting time but I do not clean the barrel until accuracy starts to fall off. I'd guess more barrels are ruined during cleaning that get "shot out" every year.

As for accuracy and quality of arm it depends upon what accuracy you are looking for I suppose. I don't argue with my rifles, I try the many ammo types I have and shoot what shoots best in each one. However, it also depends what I am doing. Hunting versus target shooting the ammo will change.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
LJ isn’t shooting a Walmarks scope Jackie…
I was that day, Jackie’s. That 22 mag he’s got will drive tacks. Horrendous trigger though (nothing personal Flapjack, all Marlins are that way).

Never seen anyone mount their scope so the crosshairs lay in an “X” view tho. That took some getting used to.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My main thing is a good trigger. But a good trigger doesn’t mean a good shooting gun. I’ve got a few that are light and crisp but shoot sub-par. A good trigger just makes me more comfortable and confident in the gun.

I can tell you ammo makes a 100% difference in almost every gun. I’ve had the best luck with SK and surprisingly CCI. Every gun is different and will always like one ammo or lot number better than another.

Clear scopes are a must but I’ve got several cheaper Nikon Prostaff and Mueller scopes that are just as clear as a Leupold.

Gun is probably last on my list. I can typically get good groups out of most rimfires (except an A-Bolt 22) after a little time and ammo testing. Pricier guns usually shoot better but not all the time.

At the end of the day it’s all up to the person behind the trigger. If you aren’t comfortable with the gun and haven’t found an ammo that it likes you probably won’t be setting any records with it anytime soon. I like good groups on paper because it gives me much more confidence when I’m propped up on the side of a tree trying for a head shot instead of just hitting a squirrel “wherever”

·
Premium Member
33,546 Posts
My main thing is a good trigger. But a good trigger doesn’t mean a good shooting gun. I’ve got a few that are light and crisp but shoot sub-par. A good trigger just makes me more comfortable and confident in the gun.

I can tell you ammo makes a 100% difference in almost every gun. I’ve had the best luck with SK and surprisingly CCI. Every gun is different and will always like one ammo or lot number better than another.

Clear scopes are a must but I’ve got several cheaper Nikon Prostaff and Mueller scopes that are just as clear as a Leupold.

Gun is probably last on my list. I can typically get good groups out of most rimfires (except an A-Bolt 22) after a little time and ammo testing. Pricier guns usually shoot better but not all the time.

At the end of the day it’s all up to the person behind the trigger. If you aren’t comfortable with the gun and haven’t found an ammo that it likes you probably won’t be setting any records with it anytime soon. I like good groups on paper because it gives me much more confidence when I’m propped up on the side of a tree trying for a head shot instead of just hitting a squirrel “wherever”
If not the best..One of the Best..This young man is a Walking encyclopedia of Shooting and Hunting...
Have met a lot of good Shooters and Hunters.
This young man is Living Legend...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Where to start, it takes a good rifle, with a good trigger and great glass if your interested in top notch accuracy, I'm to old to get out there and chase the grey squirrels so instead I sit in my little shooting house and attempt to put 5 shots in the smallest hole I can. Lately I've been shooting mostly my Anschutz 1712 .22 LR, it was quite accurate out of the box, but I sent the two stage trigger to Neil Stepp, he owns international shooters supply down in Dallas Texas, the lightest I could get the trigger was about 8 ounces, he made it a sweet 2 ounces, then I had Mr. Farrell up in Missouri build a rail to my specs. added a Leupold 36 BR scope with 1/8 minute dot, purchased a Harrells barrel tuner and bought lots of match grade ammo. Then I made a mid barrel tuner out of a lug nut from a F 750 Ford truck, seriously, it works quite well, today I shot 10 targets at fifty yards, 5 shot groups, they averaged .175 with the smallest being a .100 group. Thankfully last Thursday I bought a case (5000) rounds of Lapua Center X, its really accurate ammo in my rifle. I'm bragging, I'm pleased and at my age, I need something to brag about.

·
Registered
11,274 Posts
i went through several moderate priced rifles before I found one that was worth depending on. it is a CZ 452. i also want steel mounts if using grooved reciever mounts. I had problems with aluminum shifting on me. i use moderate priced scopes. have weaver V9 on my 22 mag and a Weaver 3 to 9 rimfire on my CZ. Every gun has favorite ammo too. I find something moderate price that shoots best that I can find and stick with it. CCI in both guns.
And I have a rifle basix in my 22 mag and a Yo Dave kit in my CZ. For lighter triggers.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I’ll put Jackie and his Anshiz-Marlin with the squirrel on the stock and a center point scope in Tasco rings up against ya any day. My money will be on Jackie!!

View attachment 324081
Just like a super moderator/administrator, pull out the big guns...........My rifle shoots great BUT, not against the Rob Roberts, squirrel on the stock, sniper, woodsman, fisherman, Jackie53.....I ain't real smrt, but smrter than that...:censored:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Serious question
Why the infatuation with 22lr vs a lil bigger caliber
Lots of reasons, probably the first rifle most of us owned, if you think centerfire rifles are a tough, try rimfire, a wind that would barely be noticeable with a .223 or .22-250 will spank your butt when you your bullet is traveling 1070 FPS. Also, as we age, recoil tends to hurt when you have joint problems. Myself, its a combination of all the above. That's my view on why the lowly .22 LR has such a following.

·
Premium Member
33,546 Posts
Lots of reasons, probably the first rifle most of us owned, if you think centerfire rifles are a tough, try rimfire, a wind that would barely be noticeable with a .223 or .22-250 will spank your butt when you your bullet is traveling 1070 FPS. Also, as we age, recoil tends to hurt when you have joint problems. Myself, its a combination of all the above. That's my view on why the lowly .22 LR has such a following.
Amen.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.